VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-03-13, 04:43:
therevisiona wrote on 2020-05-23, 17:00:
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-05-23, 16:55:

So Virge/DX is better than Virge/GX, I would assume?

Yes, it is

Why should the older DX be better than the newer GX(2)?
Can you explain that?

This article, that Con has recommended , will explain it to you perfectly.
http://retro.swarm.cz/s3-virge-325-vx-dx-gx-g … tors-deep-dive/

But in short, if you don't want to read it all.

Virge chips are very unadvanced, and they don't have texturing cache. That will cause big performance hit with synchronous RAM ( SDRAM, SGRAM).
Virge GX is exactly same chip, as Virge DX, just memory controller was improved to support SGRAM. But DX using EDO , will be faster.
Retroswarm estimated, that Virge DX at 66 mhz EDO RAM, would be around same fast, as 75 Mhz SGRAM version.
So if you overclock that 66 EDO RAM, to 75 mhz, you'll get almost same fast card as GX/2. GX/2 usually has 90 or 100 mhz SGRAM clock. But my GX/2 can be overclocked to 107 mhz, so it will be probably fastest Virge. But it's AGP. So I would say, DX with EDO overclocked to over 80mhz, would be fastest PCI Virge.

There is also mention, that even Virge GX cards were equipped with EDO RAM. in that case, they are basicaly identical to Virge DX, as "improved memory controller" isn't used at all.

So, in short... you need to pick DX/GX with EDO memory, that has smallest possible timings... ideally -40 , or -35 ns. And overclock hell ouf of it, best to go over 80 mhz, then you'll get fastest Virge around.

There's also one type of Virge, that is somehow more rare, but it's also very good. Virge MX. Using mobile core, but there were also PCB with PCI made. According Vintage3d site, there is comparsion of all Virge types, and even Trio3D / Trio3D/2x ... and Virge MX have very good results.

Reply 41 of 43, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vote for the original (325) with 4 mbyte video ram.

Virge (325):
pros: It will have the best compatibility.
cons: It will be nearly useless above 320x240.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html

Reply 42 of 43, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
W.x. wrote on 2022-09-08, 00:57:

There's also one type of Virge, that is somehow more rare, but it's also very good. Virge MX. Using mobile core, but there were also PCB with PCI made. According Vintage3d site, there is comparsion of all Virge types, and even Trio3D / Trio3D/2x ... and Virge MX have very good results.

I have yet to put my MX in a laptop through it's paces. Took the thing apart then all sorts of family crap exploded, illness, death, then a wedding which was expected, but still vampired a couple of weeks of doing anything, two rounds of car and plumbing issues, then now I'm just getting over an infection that's been brewing over a month. I'll just get my head clear and it'll be thanksgiving then christmas and provided my plague rat relatives don't get me sick again, January maybe looks good... IDK time just blasts by with stupid shit, whole year in general just going like... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fnfeuoh4s8

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 43 of 43, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
W.x. wrote:

they are basicaly identical to Virge DX,

Not so sure, because GX SGRAM cards are using chip/memory multiplier (Virge chips obviously can't work at 100 Mhz), while DX cards work 1:1 with memory clock. GX EDO may also use multiplier, which is not good for overclocking.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.