VOGONS

First post, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I just bought a Voodoo5 5500 PCI with a 1.11 BIOS (now on 1.16)

I’m having huge troubles getting the card to run properly and I am very afraid that I’ve bought a dud.

The card works in 2D, both DOS and Win98. However, as soon as i try to run a 3D accelerated game, the screen shows artifacts or a black screen and crashes.

I have tried the card in two very different machines. A SS7 K6-III (no oc) and on a p4 2.4ghz machine. The same thing happens.

I have tried googling but it haven’t found anything that matches my troubles. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 16, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
abasak wrote on 2020-07-12, 21:27:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I’m having huge troubles getting the card to run properly and I am very afraid that I’ve bought a dud.

The card works in 2D, both DOS and Win98. However, as soon as i try to run a 3D accelerated game, the screen shows artifacts or a black screen and crashes.

I have tried the card in two very different machines. A SS7 K6-III (no oc) and on a p4 2.4ghz machine. The same thing happens.

I have tried googling but it haven’t found anything that matches my troubles. Any ideas?

I am no expert on the Voodoo 5, but just to get the ball rolling for others to answer more easily, what drivers are you running ?

Reply 3 of 16, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-12, 21:37:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I am no expert on the Voodoo 5, but just to get the ball rolling for others to answer more easily, what drivers are you running ?

Ah yes, I thought it didn’t matter since the card doesn’t work in DOS 😀

I have tried the official 1.0400 and the Amigamerlin 2.0 as I read they were stable and good for the v5

Reply 4 of 16, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
abasak wrote on 2020-07-12, 21:44:
darry wrote on 2020-07-12, 21:37:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Ah yes, I thought it didn’t matter since the card doesn’t work in DOS 😀

I have tried the official 1.0400 and the Amigamerlin 2.0 as I read they were stable and good for the v5

Thank you .

Your initial post did not explicitly mention that 3D does not work in DOS . You only said that 2D works in both DOS and Windows 98 .

What DOS game(s) did you try ?

Reply 5 of 16, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are the photos: https://imgur.com/a/5nGgIkZ

For DOS games I have tried Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally as well as Descent 2, but I think the D2 patch is iffy.

In windows I have tried GLQuake, Quake 2, Half-Life, WC: Prophecy, dxdiag test, 3dfx Museum demo and I-war with the 3dfx patch.

Anything else I should try?

Edit: and of course, I am the one thanking here!

Reply 8 of 16, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry to read that . I don't know how common the symptom is, but somebody else has a similar issue here . Voodoo 5 5500 AGP only work in single chip mode!

EDIT : If both your cards came from the same source, there may be something fishy going on.

Reply 10 of 16, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screamer games on v5 is hard to get working so no wonder you have problems. Dosglide games can be difficult without a v1 or v2.

In windows try direct3d first on both chips (3dmark99 or 3dmark 2000 for example) also check if both chips work, on the p4 the single chip should be much slower. On the k6 the cpu is a bottleneck for even one chip (is like a voodoo4 4500 still).

A good game with glide support under windows for testing is DRIVER, so try that one as well with direct3d and glide (make sure you copy the glide dll from your 3dfx driver to the game directory)

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-07-15, 02:08. Edited 1 time in total.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 12 of 16, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don think those solid caps will leak but the card does need some cleaning in that area. Recapping however is never a bad idea.

Also start simple and clean the pci edge connector.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 13 of 16, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote on 2020-07-14, 19:08:

Don think those solid caps will leak but the card does need some cleaning in that area. Recapping however is never a bad idea.

Also start simple and clean the pci edge connector.

Those leak just like any others. and they tend to cause issues as pointed out with surrounding components. I've seen where people have cleaned up the affected areas and gotten components to work, only to fail again after the cap leaks some more.

Reply 14 of 16, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah some of them do leak. Here are some that had blown their tops and failed open. They are from an HD4850 GPU that I repaired. Some constructions are not entirely solid but are hybrid, they use a mix of solid and liquid electrolyte.

IMG_20190629_222819.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190629_222819.jpg
File size
226.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 15 of 16, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe try disabling guardband clipping - mine only runs in dual chip mode with that disabled (still no idea why). There's an environment variable for that or you can set it in the registry. Alternatively you can use a 3rd party driver like Amigamerlin which has it in the 3dfx tools options.

Someone at this forum also tried an alcohol bath for cleaning the card. While that may not help with your issue it should at least allow you to have a better look at bad joints. Just make sure you don't use too much as you don't want the alcohol to reach the thermal glue. Like kalohimal said that area looks like the caps leaked there.

For testing just fire up dxdiag and click the Direct3D test, no need to install games for testing 3D mode. Not good news but probably the second chip or the second chip's memory is broken.

Reply 16 of 16, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kalohimal wrote on 2020-07-15, 00:00:

Yeah some of them do leak. Here are some that had blown their tops and failed open. They are from an HD4850 GPU that I repaired. Some constructions are not entirely solid but are hybrid, they use a mix of solid and liquid electrolyte.
IMG_20190629_222819.jpg

Those are Sacon FZ caps, which are chronically faulty liquid caps that eVGA especially was in love with around 2007 or so. They're one of those series of caps that's so chemically defective that they leaked even if never used. Solid caps don't have vents like those do.
The Sanyo Os-Cons pictured on the card though are solid polys of the highest quality. I think the cloudiness in the (very busy) area between them is just flux residue.