VOGONS

First post, by ENunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having an issue with Windows and it's really starting to piss me off.

So I create a custom resolution, 1600x1200, 32 bit colors. Works fine! Then I play an old game that can only output at 16 bit. Whenever it outputs 16 bit, it's outputting 1080i/p, and it's zoomed in and scaled like its the Windows magnifier. So I end up creating a custom resolution of 1600x1200 at 16-bit, it tells me the custom mode already exists so it overwrites my 32-bit custom res. I click yes and it outputs fine. However when I set it to output 32-bit, it does the same thing, 1600x1200 stretched and zoomed into a 1080i/p frame. What?

I posted about this issue yesterday but I did fix it by installing a newer driver, but since it started to creep back up, installing a newer driver didn't fix my issue.

Tried reinstalling my drivers, rebooted, tried using different cables and monitors, NVIDIA has no scaling options so I'm out of luck there. The last version of DDU supported on XP insta crashes when I tell it to uninstall the drivers. Does anyone know how I can force it to output X resolution without worrying about scaling? Pretty stumped right now. I tried everything I can think of.

the

Reply 1 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unable to select 16 bit or 32bit color while on same resolution via windows's video settings panel? This is more reliable way.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 9, by ENunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I did that just incase the NVCP was being the NVCP but I have the same problem when I run it though the Windows control panel.

I'm able to select 32/16 bit its just when I select 16 bit it has that scaling bug.

the

Reply 3 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One way around driver EDID issues is using an EDID emulator with a custom EDID . That's the solution I amusing for my retro machine. If I don't use a custom EDID on my Acer VW257 1920x1200 monitor, I don't even get a picture when running an FX 5900 under Windows 98 SE . All the custom EDID does in this case is expose 1600x1200 as the native resolution (at 70Hz with reduced blanking in my case, but 60Hz standard worked just as well). With that setup, everything is 4:3 and scaled to 1600x1200 by video card, when set to Nvidia scaling, except for 1600x1200, which is passed through untouched .

Reply 4 of 9, by ENunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-17, 03:55:

One way around driver EDID issues is using an EDID emulator with a custom EDID . That's the solution I amusing for my retro machine. If I don't use a custom EDID on my Acer VW257 1920x1200 monitor, I don't even get a picture when running an FX 5900 under Windows 98 SE . All the custom EDID does in this case is expose 1600x1200 as the native resolution (at 70Hz with reduced blanking in my case, but 60Hz standard worked just as well). With that setup, everything is 4:3 and scaled to 1600x1200 by video card, when set to Nvidia scaling, except for 1600x1200, which is passed through untouched .

What do you use for that? I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶C̶R̶U̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶t̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶X̶P̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶a̶w̶.̶ Apparently what you brought up is an external device. I'll take a look at it when I'm able to but is there any other solutions?

the

Reply 5 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ENunn wrote on 2020-07-17, 04:03:
darry wrote on 2020-07-17, 03:55:

What do you use for that? I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶C̶R̶U̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶t̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶X̶P̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶a̶w̶.̶ Apparently what you brought up is an external device. I'll take a look at it when I'm able to but is there any other solutions?

I took the "easy" hardware way out, I admit, so I did not have to fight with driver issues . If you decide to take the hardware EDID emulator route, be sure to get one that is USB programmable . Most of the common units, including mine, only allow cloning an EDID from an existing monitor . The method I used to get around that was to use a spare monitor that has a writable EDID, program it with my custom EDID and then clone it into an EDID emulator. This is a serious inconvenience and only works if you have a spare programmable monitor .

The only relatively reasonably priced USB programmable EDID emulator I found is the ATEN VC060 .
Another alternative is to build your own EDID emulator, like cde did . [HOWTO] Running DOS games natively with perfect 4:3 aspect ratio @ 70 Hz over DVI

Reply 6 of 9, by ENunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-17, 04:27:

I took the "easy" hardware way out, I admit, so I did not have to fight with driver issues . If you decide to take the hardware EDID emulator route, be sure to get one that is USB programmable . Most of the common units, including mine, only allow cloning an EDID from an existing monitor . The method I used to get around that was to use a spare monitor that has a writable EDID, program it with my custom EDID and then clone it into an EDID emulator. This is a serious inconvenience and only works if you have a spare programmable monitor .

The only relatively reasonably priced USB programmable EDID emulator I found is the ATEN VC060 .
Another alternative is to build your own EDID emulator, like cde did . [HOWTO] Running DOS games natively with perfect 4:3 aspect ratio @ 70 Hz over DVI

Late but I don't really have another monitor for testing that out at the moment. Also that thread, yikes. I'm not really comfortable doing that since I'm not that good at doing that stuff. Looks like a good idea though.

Is there a software solution I could try?

the

Reply 7 of 9, by ENunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any other solution to this without getting an EDID emulator? Still somewhat having this problem from time to time as of 1-9-21. A friend of mine is having a similar issue with his XP rig.

the

Reply 8 of 9, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RefreshLock_1.png

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/refreshlock.html

It has options to force based on BPP (8,16,32). Maybe it will tip the scales just enough to force the modes you need.

Also, in general, you need to be at a completely different resolution than the one(s) you are trying to adjust in NVCP otherwise it won't let you (verbally, with an error message) or just silently glitch out.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM