VOGONS

Riva tnt2 ultra OEM?

Topic actions

First post, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone!
I just bought an AGP video card and the seller told me it's a Riva TNT2 ultra but now I'm not sure cause it doesn't match any photos I can find online. I am hoping one of you can help me figure out what it is.

Attachments

• s-l400 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    File size
    24.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l300 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l300 (1).jpg
    File size
    16.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l400.jpg
    Filename
    s-l400.jpg
    File size
    32.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 34, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know much about TNT2 cards, but this one raises questions to me.
Why does it have so few RAM chips? I would expect an Ultra to have a lot more chips than this. I have a regular TNT2 (which doesn't work) that has 16 RAM chips on it. Maybe this is an M64?

Why does it have dual VGA outputs? I don't think anything pre Geforce2 MX supported dual outputs. Maybe it's not an NVidia card at all?

Do the labels say anything interesting? The pictures are too small to see any detail.

If you can, pop it in a motherboard and see what the Vendor/Device codes are on the POST screen.

Reply 7 of 34, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TNTs had only one DAC.

That doesn't say much. G400 also had only one DAC and there were also dual head cards based on Savage MX.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 34, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The layout of the cards, those ram chips on that position, the passive heatsink, dual Vga, I agree, 99.9999% it's a GF4MX.

For $7, if it works it's not a bad card at all. And it will blow the Tnt2 Ultra, however it won't have that "high-end" and "ultra" status.

Reply 9 of 34, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-08-15, 09:55:

The layout of the cards, those ram chips on that position, the passive heatsink, dual Vga, I agree, 99.9999% it's a GF4MX.

For $7, if it works it's not a bad card at all. And it will blow the Tnt2 Ultra, however it won't have that "high-end" and "ultra" status.

I dont really care about the "High-End" or "Ultra" status. I just want a decently good card for my retro build to play 98 games up to about 2000 😁

Reply 10 of 34, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-08-15, 05:15:

TNTs had only one DAC.

That doesn't say much. G400 also had only one DAC and there were also dual head cards based on Savage MX.

I was under impression Matrox TVO is a superset of ramdac.

Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-15, 12:00:

I dont really care about the "High-End" or "Ultra" status. I just want a decently good card for my retro build to play 98 games up to about 2000 😁

Then you acquired much better device than any TNT2.

Reply 11 of 34, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guy still scammed you though so a partial refund is in order.

Reply 12 of 34, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2020-08-16, 13:23:

Hey thanks I hadn't thought of that, I might say something to him.

Reply 13 of 34, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He misidentified the card but I seriously doubt he was trying to "scam" him. If you don't want it for $7 then it's a perfectly good reason to return it though.

Reply 14 of 34, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote on 2020-08-17, 02:15:

He misidentified the card but I seriously doubt he was trying to "scam" him. If you don't want it for $7 then it's a perfectly good reason to return it though.

Honestly, I'm just glad it was something that ran as well or better. But I'll just be happy to get it all together and running 🤣.

Reply 15 of 34, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote on 2020-08-17, 02:15:

So why did he wrote that specific name on a card he knew nothing about? The correct term should have been "unknown nVidia video card".
Would you be satisfied if a seller sold you a Voodoo1 labeled as Voodoo3? The pricetag is irrelevant here, if I want a Voodoo3 then I don't want a Voodoo1.
This guy wanted a TNT2 Ultra, got a shitty GF4 MX instead. Wasted postage fees, wasted time.
It's 100% the seller's fault so a partial refund is in order.

Reply 16 of 34, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure exactly what to do about it being the wrong card. On one hand, I was expecting the tnt2, and feel a partial is owed, on the other hand, I kinda feel like as long as it performs well I should just tell him and be done with it, only $7. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I am open to any and all relevant opinions.

Reply 17 of 34, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-17, 11:51:

I'm not sure exactly what to do about it being the wrong card. On one hand, I was expecting the tnt2, and feel a partial is owed, on the other hand, I kinda feel like as long as it performs well I should just tell him and be done with it, only $7. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I am open to any and all relevant opinions.

It's really up to you.
My auction site allows negative feedback left for buyers so it's not worth it to ruin a perfect buyer score with a $7 purchase.
It always goes like "You left a negative feedback? I do the same even though it was my fault, I do it just to get back at you."
It works, buyers will leave a positive feedback/won't leave feedback even if they are unsatisfied because they want to preserve their perfect score. They are powerless against sellers with thousands of sales and a 99.X% score, buyers with a lower than 100% score are blocked to bid on a lot of auctions.
Ebay chose an interesting way to combat feedback revenge but it certainly helped buyers (and scammers) a lot.
These are both unfair systems but this can't be helped, it's still better than a no-feedback system.

So the bottom line:
Ebay: ask for a partial refund.
Other auction site with a 2-way feeback system: let it go.

Reply 19 of 34, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mephusto wrote on 2020-08-17, 11:51:

Here's my personal opinion:
I'm under the impression you just wanted any old card that would be compatible with lots of old games and suit your Pentium II 450. You got that. Wether it's a TNT2 Ultra or GF4 MX 440/460 who cares!? It'll get the job done. 7$ shipped for a working card is fair. So far no damage done.
It also seems you didn't care too much about a collector's perspective (GF4 MX 440/460 is worthless to collectors, TNT2 Ultra is sought after and more expensive.) so no damage here either.
The seller doesn't appear to be a scammer: The price fits the card he sent, I can see no ill intent. I think he was either misinformed himself or completely negligent. Maybe he had taken the card from an old system that was upgraded later on and still had the original sticker on it. Who knows?
Yeah, the seller is in the wrong and it wouldn't hurt to let him know he didn't deliver what was advertised. But what good is going to come from making a fuss?
So after paying only 7$ and getting a card you can use for the intended purpose (even though it's a different card than advertised): Why bother?

I kinda feel like as long as it performs well I should just tell him and be done with it, only $7. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Exactly! 👍

From the perspective of the German law you could probably buy an overpriced TNT2 Ultra on ebay and sue him for the difference but that's going to be a lot of hassle for a medium two figure sum.😅