VOGONS

First post, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For graphics cards that offer both 15-pin VGA & 9-pin TTL connectors, are all of these cards generally Hercules compatible as well, or did this vary from vendor to vendor? I'm looking to aquire a Tseng ET3000 based card, and for what it's worth, most of them look like carbon copies of one another.
I guess a lot of them do support Hercules graphics mode, but if I can't find any documentation, how can I be sure? Or about the DIP switch settings on these - will they be the same across various models? The old IBM display adapters came with a warning that you could damage the monitor, if you feed them the wrong video/sync signals. Trial and error might not be the best approach 📺💥🥴
I've found a manual for one ET3000 based card, Qtec VGA 1024, and that one is indeed Hercules compatible. Alas, trying to find just this one particular flavor of an ET3000 could prove a bit difficult.

Also, can someone explain to me why so many of these cards have zip-ties wrapped around their crystal clock oscillators?

Reply 1 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-08-25, 14:27:

Or about the DIP switch settings on these - will they be the same across various models? The old IBM display adapters came with a warning that you could damage the monitor, if you feed them the wrong video/sync signals.

There is folklore that the IBM MDA monitor is not suitably protected agains too low(!) sync frequencies. A too low sync frequency could cause the line-output transformer to be overcharged during a line (technically correct term: saturated), which might blow the transformer or the horizontal output transistor. While TVs have an internal oscillator for the line frequency that is usually designed in a way that it can't oscillate too slow, the MDA monitor expects a properly timed pulse from the computer to terminate every single scan-line.

It is highly unlikely that you can damge (digital) multi-sync monitors, though.

Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-08-25, 14:27:

Also, can someone explain to me why so many of these cards have zip-ties wrapped around their crystal clock oscillators?

A crystal oscillator has just 4 pins made of quite thin wire, and the steel can is quite heavy. Therefore, the oscillator might fall out of its socket quite easily during transport of the computer. The zip-tie is used to fasten the oscillator to the socket.

Reply 2 of 3, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about using ET3000 with TTL monitors.
With VGA monitors, however, the rule is: if the card has the Sync ROM, it does support Hercules graphics on such monitors, the utility is VMODE.COM

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.