VOGONS

First post, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this FX 5900 XT graphics card that I received in one of those "scrap lots". It does not work at all and first I thought it was due to the bulged caps and ordered some replacements for recapping it.
Upon closer inspection I saw that a transistor (?) on the back side of the card was knocked off (but still there). The silkscreen identifies it as Q502. It can't be soldered back in place because the legs are ripped off, so I need to replace it.
Unfortunately I can't really identify it. The inscription is really tiny but readable, see pictures below. I tried googling different variants:
- GOA3T
- G0A3T
- GDA3T
- GOA8T
- G0A8T
- GDA8T
But none of these returned plausible results. The package seems to be SOT-23.

Transistor2.jpg
Filename
Transistor2.jpg
File size
8.18 KiB
Views
File comment
Transistor
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Transistor3.jpg
Filename
Transistor3.jpg
File size
101.76 KiB
Views
File comment
Transistor
File license
Card.jpg
Filename
Card.jpg
File size
653 KiB
Views
File comment
Card
File license

There is a second identical component (Q501) that I could try do de-solder and then measure, but since I do not have special SMD soldering equipment nor extraordinary soldering skills, I'd rather avoid that.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:
After some more googling I might have found two possible candidates:

1. IRLML2502 (fast-switching MOSFET, would make sense) --> Datasheet: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/irlml2502pbf.pd … 1535668048e2606
The code would translate to:
G = Part No. IRLML2502
0 = Year 2000
A = Week 01
3T = Lot Code

2. HSMP-3890 (single diode, which would not make much sense imo) --> Datasheet: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/A … P-389x-489x.pdf

My retro computers

Reply 1 of 5, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you've found the correct one, IRLML2502, which is an n-channel mosfet. It's part of the buck converter, and the circuit right out from the datasheet of the pwm ic ISL6522 is like this:

isl6522.jpg
Filename
isl6522.jpg
File size
45.96 KiB
Views
File license

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 3 of 5, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I found some time to solder on the replacement transistor. Power on - success!

POST.jpg
Filename
POST.jpg
File size
110.66 KiB
Views
File comment

Some time ago I received this Revoltec VGA cooler as part of a bigger lot. Didn't think I'd even use it one day, but since the stock cooler was missing the aluminium top plate, I decided to give it a shot:

Revoltec.jpg
Filename
Revoltec.jpg
File size
169.55 KiB
Views
File comment
Revoltec
File license

So this is the end result:

Result.jpg
Filename
Result.jpg
File size
490.42 KiB
Views
File comment
Result
File license

Completely recapped with Panasonic caps, too. I haven't tested it beyond the BIOS POST yet, but I'm pretty confident that it will be fully working again 😄

My retro computers