VOGONS

First post, by Compenstine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for any driver that will work with a 5595 SIS chip set in Win 3.11. I have tried every driver I could find on Vogons Graphic Drivers and the SiS website with no luck. I would be happy with any generic driver that would give me 256 colors. This is an On Board video card that I can't pin or use the bios to shut off. If that were the case, I would just put in a different Vid card. I also have a multi boot that is running, WIN 95\98\2000\XP. This Vid card works on all other loads.

If anyone has a driver or knows of one that may work please post a link. Edit: In case it helps, the card shows as SiS 530/620 in Win2000Pro

Attachments

• 20200826_193755.jpg
    Filename
    20200826_193755.jpg
    File size
    188.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SiS Chip and Board Info
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could be wrong but I think the SiS530 chipset just used a onboard variant of the 6326. I've no idea if the 6326 supports Win 3.11, but if you can find a driver for that card I bet it would work with the 530 chipset as well. Worth a shot, anyway.

Reply 2 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are patches out there that try and add VESA support to the SVGA driver included in WfW 3.11. Try SVGAPatch from https://www.japheth.de/dwnload1.html or the one from here (which is designed for VMware guests but may work anyway) https://sites.google.com/site/chitchatvmback/misc
I've found these to sometimes have issues switching to and from fullscreen text mode, so you might want to edit _default.pif and any other .pif files in the windows directory to run in a window instead.

Reply 3 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jasin Natael wrote on 2020-08-27, 21:50:

I could be wrong but I think the SiS530 chipset just used a onboard variant of the 6326. I've no idea if the 6326 supports Win 3.11, but if you can find a driver for that card I bet it would work with the 530 chipset as well. Worth a shot, anyway.

Second that.

The 5595 is a southbridge with various I/O stuff, but not the UMA VGA controller. That's integrated into the northbridge, in this case either 620 (Slot1/So370) or 530 (So7) northbridge. Both contain an integrated AGP 6326.

Now, it looks like this place has a Win3.1 driver for the 6326 - BUT it's wrapped in a .exe file I wouldn't trust with a barge pole. Inside is a SETUP.EXE file that looks better.
https://driverscollection.com/s/f4Ch

Reply 4 of 7, by Compenstine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried both the 530 and 620 drivers and all I got was a black screen. They did install and let me change the settings. However, after changing to 256colors and rebooted, Windows wfw 3.11 was running in the background just no picture. This was the same result after trying 7 SiS drivers I had found including the 6326 from the SiS website. I will give jakethompson1's suggestions a try and see what happens. Thank you for the help!

Reply 5 of 7, by jm764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Compenstine wrote on 2020-08-28, 16:42:

I tried both the 530 and 620 drivers and all I got was a black screen. They did install and let me change the settings. However, after changing to 256colors and rebooted, Windows wfw 3.11 was running in the background just no picture. This was the same result after trying 7 SiS drivers I had found including the 6326 from the SiS website. I will give jakethompson1's suggestions a try and see what happens. Thank you for the help!

I have a Gigabyte GA-S5MM mobo that I pulled from an old Compaq system (I can't rember the model though) and it has this same chipset/gpu.
I reflashed it to a stock Gigabyte bios from their official site ( though I also forgot to back up the Compaq bios though it was worse in every way due to artificial feature limits and only smaller HDD support) , then I installed DOS 6.22 and Win3.11 WfW and ran into the same issue as Compenstine did.

I did try jakethompson1's suggestions about using "SVGAPatch" and it seems to have worked as I can set it to 1024x768 with 256 colors.

I'm guessing it's purely a driver issue with the SIS 6326 as the options seem correct in their SVGA setup tool but I've tried every option there at "60-75 NI" and all of the failed to show up on my old Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP LCD monitor atleast, though I haven't set up a CRT monitor so it's possible those might work.

If anyone finds out a way to get the SIS drivers working, let me know. 😉

Attachments

Reply 6 of 7, by dezaumsg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, I get the Sis 530/620 work on windows 3.11 with 16k color with these drivers https://driverscollection.com/?file_cid=44014 … 37100b6871b9d8d

when start windows for the first time after install the driver they wont open and return to dos. After this, in config ( open in DOS in windows directory) I change the video settings to SIS 620 800x600 256 color, and after the boot change it to 800x600 16k colour

Reply 7 of 7, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dezaumsg wrote on 2022-06-28, 13:30:

hi, I get the Sis 530/620 work on windows 3.11 with 16k color with these drivers https://driverscollection.com/?file_cid=44014 … 37100b6871b9d8d

when start windows for the first time after install the driver they wont open and return to dos. After this, in config ( open in DOS in windows directory) I change the video settings to SIS 620 800x600 256 color, and after the boot change it to 800x600 16k colour

Oh! thanks! i was having problem with a sis 530 integrated IGP, and this driver works great too. Strange because i tried before some others that are for same igp but diferent version and none had worked, thanks