Reply 21 of 27, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Press Release - Archives 1997

ATI announces the 3D RAGE™ LT PRO and ushers in new era in mobile computing

First mobile AGP 3D notebook chip
First with Tri-View™ (for simultaneous display on LCD, CRT, TV)
First with hardware acceleration for software DVD
First with 65 MHz integrated LVDS transmitters-~Fastest 2D and 3D performance for notebook market

November 10, 1997
Toronto, Ontario - ATI Technologies Inc. (TSE:ATY) today has set a new standard for features, performance and functionality for the mobile graphics accelerator with its next generation 3D RAGE™ LT PRO, the first mobile AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) chip on the market. The 3D RAGE LT PRO, based on ATI's new market leader 3D RAGE PRO™ accelerator, has the fastest 2D and 3D performance in the mobile market. It is also the first mobile graphics controller to offer Tri-View™ for triple display output, hardware acceleration for software DVD (Digital Versatile Disk) playback using motion compensation circuitry and the first with integrated LVDS transmitters. The 3D RAGE LT PRO chip will also provide the same high performance and functionality to the emerging LCD flat panel monitor market.

First AGP solution for notebooks
ATI is the clear market leader in providing AGP solutions to the desktop and now mobile markets and is currently the only company to offer on both platforms the AGP 1X or 2X modes to provide all the benefits of the new Intel bus specification. AGP dramatically increases the amount of textures that can be displayed on the screen as it allows for the use of main system memory for 3D and DVD, rather than the limited memory of a graphics controller. The AGP 2X implementation (133MHz), when coupled with SideBand Addressing pipelining (SBA), provides for performance four times faster than the base level implementation. The AGP 1X mode conserves power. AGP will allow notebook and LCD flat panel monitor users to create the richest and most exciting 3D presentations, access and use 3D Web content, enjoy the highest quality data visualization and display professionally designed images. For the after-hours user, AGP will also turn the notebook into a state-of-the-art gaming system with the capability to accelerate the new high texture titles coming onto the market.

Tri-View, first for triple-screen
viewing With competing solutions offering support for only two displays, the 3D RAGE LT PRO, with Tri-View architecture, is the first mobile graphics chip to permit triple display of simultaneous outputs to TV, CRT and LCD. Different or same images with different or same resolutions and refresh rates can be viewed on any two of the three displays. This feature is useful for financial applications where a user can span an image over 2 displays for a wider viewing area; for CAD design where a zoomed-in image can be viewed on one display and a global view on a bigger one and for education or business presentations to allow users to display a preview image or notes on the notebook screen, for example, while showing a different image on a CRT or a large screen TV.

First with DVD support for the notebook
ATI's leadership in the DVD arena has been extended to the 3D RAGE LT PRO chip where ATI's motion compensation technology fully supports a DVD software solution and off-loads the CPU for other tasks. A hardware DVD solution can also be supported through ATI's Multimedia Channel (AMC) port offering OEM customers the flexibility to trade-off image quality, power and CPU usage. As a result, ATI is the first to announce a mobile graphics controller that will see notebooks with DVD ROM drives able to run DVD movies at full frame rates and enable users to make use of the enormous amounts of data that can be stored on DVD disks.

First with an integrated LVDS I/O interface
ATI's on-chip, dual channel 65MHz LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signaling) transmitters are the first integrated LVDS transmitters on the market, providing a higher performance, and lower cost interface to quality LCD displays without compromising motherboard real estate. The LVDS transmitters were designed and optimized to provide a high speed data-transfer rate with a narrow interface to the LCD panel, good noise immunity and lower EMI while achieving low on-chip power dissipation. The 3D RAGE LT PRO also supports external PanelLink™ transmitters through its digital interface. Panel resolution support is provided for STN and TFT up to 1280x1024 and up to 24-bit per pixel, single/double pixel per clock.

Best quality image scaling to fit any LCD panel
size Another unique feature of the 3D RAGE LT PRO called "Ratiometric Expansion" scales the active display area to fill the entire LCD screen when the current graphics mode is smaller than the panel resolution (up to a 1024x768). Horizontal and vertical filtering is implemented to provide a better expansion quality. The ratiometric expansion operation is similar to a desktop multi-sync monitor where applications are automatically scaled to fill the screen while maintaining a high quality of the displayed content. This is an important feature for the end user either when playing games or reading text on LCD panels.

"ATI was the first to market with a no-compromise 3D controller for the mobile market and we have followed the same no compromise approach in being the first to market with AGP, DVD, triple view and the integrated LVDS," said Phil Eisler, Director of Component Marketing at ATI. "We have set a new standard for the mobile and LCD panel markets that OEMs are already finding very attractive."

ATI integrates its ImpacTV2™ technology for best TV-out picture
ATI has also integrated its industry-leading TV-out technology, ImpacTV2™, onto the 3D RAGE LT PRO chip. With resolution modes down-scaleable from 1024x768 and 16:9 mode (wide screen) support, ATI's TV-out, with a 6 tap flicker filter, produces scaled, flicker-free and artifact-suppressed display on PAL/NTSC TVs with composite and S-Video or RGB connectors.

Macrovision 7.01 copy protection has also been designed into the TV-out technology, providing 3D RAGE LT PRO notebooks with the potential to be the most versatile personal computer systems on the market, whether for business presentations or home viewing of DVD movies on large screen TVs.

Award-winning 2D and 3D performance
The 3D RAGE LT PRO is a no-compromise mobile controller that derives its features and functionality from ATI's latest generation and market leading 3D RAGE PRO technology. The 3D RAGE LT PRO brings desktop performance to notebooks for the first time, and beats all other notebook accelerators on the market with a 2D Winbench at 130 and a 3D Winbench at 250.

Work station-quality 3D performance is achieved through a floating-point hardware set up engine and on-chip 4KB cache. Other leading 3D features include bilinear and trilinear filtering, Z-buffering, advanced edge anti-aliasing and special effects such as alpha blending, fog, and texture lighting which allow for the highest levels of realism.

Superior 2D performance is provided by 3D RAGE LT PRO's 64-bit optimized engine for hardware acceleration of Bitblt, Line Draw, Polygon/Rectangle Fill, Bit Masking, Monochrome Expansion, Panning/Scrolling, Scissoring, and h/w icon/cursor. An integrated 230 MHz DAC supports up to 1600x1280 resolutions at 85Hz refresh rates. This results in fast 2D acceleration and razor-sharp images for all standard Win `95 and Windows NT 2D applications.

Flexible memory configurations
3D RAGE LT PRO supports the widest range of memory options, including DRAM, EDO DRAM, SDRAM and SGRAM at up to 100MHz, providing bandwidths up to 800MB/sec across a 64-bit interface.

The ultimate in connectivity with ATI's AMC and Zoom Video Port
The ATI Multimedia Channel (AMC), a 16-bit, bi-directional video port allows direct connection to popular video upgrades, such as video capture cards, video conferencing hardware, hardware MPEG-2/DVD players and TV tuners with Intercast support. A Zoom Video Port with maximum support of 40MHz, and 16bpp YUV422 is also provided through the AMC bus.

ATI innovation with advanced power management
The dynamic power management system, developed by ATI, features independently controlled clock registers that shut down inactive functions on four activity levels (active, standby, suspend and sleep). This block-by-block power control, transparent to the user, results in a very low power dissipation and longer battery life. Full Intel/Microsoft APM and ACPI support, and PCI and AGP power management compliance are also provided on all levels.

Price and availability
The 3D RAGE LT PRO is a single chip solution in 0.35mm, 3.3V CMOS technology. It is available now for sampling and will be shipping for mass production in the first quarter of 1998. It is priced at $35 for quantities of 10,000 units.
Copyright © ATI Technologies Inc., 1999. All company and/or product names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective manufacturers. Features, pricing, availability and specifications are subject to change without notice.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 22 of 27, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm, I have some issues right now. Games do freeze (d3d) and pal-textures do not work on ogl regardless if I activate that support via rage-tweaker. I will make a clean install then...

Reply 23 of 27, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did make a clean install...but OpenGL does not work...

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/legacy.html The Rage Pro and Rage XL are the same thing... more or less.

If the driver refuses to install by double-clicking on the EXE, do it manually through Device Manager. (i.e. open Display Adapter properties and click "update driver").
Unfortunately the Rage Pro was produced during the dark ages, when ATi sat unchallenged in the OEM sector and didn't give a damn about the retail market (and thus driver support). There's no sense in using one unless you have a couple of ATICIF games (MechWarrior, Heavy Gear, etc.). Get a $10 Voodoo2 off eBay (or $20 for V2 SLI...).

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means. It can therefore be said that politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"Andrew" <-> wrote in message
news:41e0168a$0$48205$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net... > Everything I read says: all you need to do is install the latest drivers and > it will work. But it doesn't...
>
> I am using a Win98/P3-450 with what ATI describe - from the board part > number - as "Rage Pro 8Mb AGP VGA" (device manager describes the ASIC as 3D > Rage Pro AGP 2x).
>
> The ATI website says:
> An OpenGL ICD (Installable Client Driver) is included with the current RAGE > PRO and RAGE LT PRO display drivers for Windows 98 and Windows 95. This feature first appeared in driver release 4.11.2474. The normal Windows 9x > driver installation procedure installs this OpenGL support. No additional > steps are required.
>
> I've tried as many different drivers as I can, 4.11.2474, 4.11.2560, 4.13.2655. But I can't get my graphics card to support OpenGL. Using GLInfo, > it only reports the standard Win98 software driver (Microsoft Corporation 4.12.1.1107 GDI Generic OpenGL version 1.1.0).
>
> Starting Flightgear, I get about 0.2fps. I realise I am not going to get > stellar performance with this set up, but surely I can do better than
that! > What am I doing wrong???
>> regards, Andrew

Reply 25 of 27, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://web.archive.org/web/20091027080603/ht … om/ziyadhosein/

Interesting informations:
Issues on the Rage Pro
- Particle effect do not fade - Rage Pro cannot do alpha modulate. (Clive Barker's Undying)
- Blending artifacts (white fog instead of transparency) - driver issue that can be overcome by chhanging the coding of the application. (Half Life, American McGee's Alice)
- Dark textures - hardware issue that can be overcome by changing the coding of the application. (Max Payne)
- Problems blending paletted textures - Rage Pro cannot do texture blending on paletted textures.
- Pixelated Alpha Channels (blocky smoke/fog) - Rage Pro cannot bilinear filter textures that have alpha.

Reply 26 of 27, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-12-05, 23:21:

I tested lot's of drivers...that one worked for OGL https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI3DCIF/drivers/rpro_540-1b02f.zip

rpro_5.40.1-b02f (4.11.2611) is latest rage pro/rage pro lt original driver that works with 3dcif/d3d/opengl, it should not work with rage2c or ragexl for the 3dcif part.

My best driver at the moment for rage2c/ragexl/rage pro/rage pro lt is 4.11.2582 modified driver, it works with 3dcif/d3d/opengl (rage2c no opengl, wrapper maybe)
MACXW4 5.38.2582-3DCIF (4.11.2582)
https://yadi.sk/d/eV600jDAliJ_3w/Tweaked_Driv … 20Rage-MarxVeix

My best 5.40.x driver at the moment for rage pro/rage pro lt should be 5.40.1-b02f-3dcif (4.11.2611) modified driver - ATI2DDAD 5.40.x driver needs update, like 2582 did. B ut you can install two driver releases and use even the latest rage pro/rage pro lt directx 8.1 driver. 3dcif and J series works only with multiple and different driver installations 5.40.x + j series or macxw4+j series, something like that.
J series and 5.40.1 ones
https://yadi.sk/d/eV600jDAliJ_3w/Tweaked_Driv … _rage-3dcif.zip

More info starting from here:
Re: Proprietary 3D API's

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 27 of 27, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-09-05, 12:47:
Hi there, I am a bit confused about my Acer V66LT Board with ATI 3D Rage Pro LT. Are there drivers for Win3x? I could not find t […]
Show full quote

Hi there, I am a bit confused about my Acer V66LT Board with ATI 3D Rage Pro LT.
Are there drivers for Win3x? I could not find them and the WFW3.11 Vesa 256Color-Driver does not work too ;( (corrupted screen)
Beside that I am wondering why in win9x there is only D3D but not OpenGL-Support.

What drivers should I use, especially if I would like to play some really old "ATI3DCIF" stuff too.

Thx!
Doc

RAGE LT (laptop) and RAGE LT Pro (desktop)[edit] […]
Show full quote

RAGE LT (laptop) and RAGE LT Pro (desktop)[edit]

Rage LT chip

ATI Rage LT Pro AGP, 8 MB SDRAM
Rage LT or Mach64 LT was often implemented on motherboards and in mobile applications like notebook computers. This late 1996 chip was very similar to the Rage II and supported the same application coding. It integrated a low-voltage differential signaling (LVDS) transmitter for notebook LCDs and advanced power management (block-by-block power control). The RAGE LT PRO, based on the 3D RAGE PRO, was the very first mobile GPU to use AGP.

It offered Filtered Ratiometric Expansion, which automatically adjusted images to full-screen size. ATI's ImpacTV2+ is integrated with the RAGE LT PRO chip to support multi-screen viewing; i.e., simultaneous outputs to TV, CRT and LCD. In addition, the RAGE LT PRO can drive two displays with different images and/or refresh rates with the use of integrated dual, independent CRT controllers.

The Rage LT Pro was often used in desktop video cards that had a VESA Digital Flat Panel port to drive some desktop LCD monitors digitally.

After ATI stopped producing the RAGE LT, ATI used the Rage 128 and Rage 128 Pro as the base chip for their new Mobility Mobile Graphics.

german: http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Beispie … n_-_Scovery_250

Hi i just post a solution to Rage LT vesa problems in windows 3.1

have a nice day