First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am going to pick up this card in the afternoon for a few bucks:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-v9520-x.b1807
1807-front.jpg

It's not something that will set the world on fire and trust me when I say I hate the GeForceFX line of cards, but it was the most convenient card I could find for use as a DVI capture source in a Super Socket 7 DOS/Win98 multiboot PC. The motherboard is AGP1.0 2x/3.3V, so I went for the cheapest thing that will work with the AGP 2x slot key.

Except, the genius that is I never forgot to check whether the card can actually operate at 3.3V. This morning I woke up thinking "SHIT!" because I realized it's most probably an AGP2.0 2x/4x/1.5V card. Or is it? Anyone know?

EDIT: Well according to this site it atually supports AGP 2x/3.3V..?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2020-09-10, 08:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 3, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just purchased an Epox MVP3G-M, and two AGP cards that would not work (no boot, no display) in my Sy-5EMA+ work fine in it. An Asus FX 5600, and one of those new knockoff Chinese FX 5500 cards that clearly say 5200 on the GPU die. So that card would likely work in my Epox board, but not the Soyo. The best card I have that works in the Soyo is a GeForce 3 Ti 200.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The FX5200 works in the slot just fine, clean POST. Hurray!

What kind of 3D performance can I expect with this card on an AMD K6-2/500? Will it play (most) 95-99 3D games fine?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 3, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-10, 08:14:

The FX5200 works in the slot just fine, clean POST. Hurray!

What kind of 3D performance can I expect with this card on an AMD K6-2/500? Will it play (most) 95-99 3D games fine?

I just want to interject and say there is a DVI version of the TNT2 Pro that is fairly common. If your looking for an era correct ish adapter with Native DVI for capture that might fit the bill. If memory serves the card is a Gateway OEM card manufactured by creative technologies, model number CT5826. I own one, it was actually the first retro card I purchased. I thought it was interesting to see a card from 1999 that only had DVI and no VGA output.

To answer your question in regards to the FX5200, yes. I can't think of anything from 1999 it wouldn't be able to handle at 1600x1200. It has the 8 bit texturing support that the GeForce6+ series lack and decent 9x driver support. I would probably use drivers dated around 6 months out from product launch. That's new enough that any major bugs for that card had been worked out, and old enough that NVIDIA hadn't started dropping the ball on 9x drivers and support for DX6 era games.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction