VOGONS

First post, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got those laptops yesterday, installed Windows 98SE and got sound working in DOS with T22 when T23 has newer sound chip so no sound in DOS.

Struggling to get S3MeTal working on these. Got Unreal Gold and Tournament, installed latest drivers, installed S3TC map pack, copied metal.dll to Unreal\system and edited unreal.ini to use MeTal-API. It just draws with software renderer. Direct3D seems to work but with no shadows and looks quite ugly.

GLQuake and Quake2 works, Quake3 crashes just before videos.

What next?

Reply 5 of 24, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normally you just choose it and it works.
never had issues with this.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 24, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad to hear, not working on Thinkpad T22. And actually I have googled this thing a lot and got no proof S3MeTal working on Thinkpad T22.

Installed Win98SE, installed newest S3Savage IX -drivers (2/2000) and tried Unreal and Unreal Tournament. With S3MeTal selection it uses software rendering. End of story. (and same story applies to Thinkpad T23)

Reply 7 of 24, by BigDaddyM

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked my tests on Savage IX and Savage MX, both use the same driver. UT with MeTal works on SavageMX but I dont have screenshots from Savage IX. D3D and OpenGL works on both. I used latest driver from 11/28/2001, it includes MeTaL driver 1.0.2.5. Maybe check if UT demo will work. What version of Unreal do you have?

Reply 8 of 24, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I distinctly remember S3 Metal working on my T23 with UT99, I am using the modded ChroMetal drivers:

https://we.tl/t-F5Ei1bGrZl

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 9 of 24, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the drivers!

Unfortunately, setup doesnt detect display adapter on both T22 and T23.

But if I install display driver manually from device manager it works. BUT, still no S3Metal. Direct3D works better than with original drivers but it's just too freakin' slow. Can't get OpenGL work on Quake2 either.

Thinking of giving up, this is getting just so frustrating. I have few old computers with Voodoo2 & 3 cards and never had any problems with those. Just drivers in and everything works.

T22 is great for DOS-gaming, would have been nice bonus if could run a few 3D-games in Windows.

Reply 12 of 24, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those drivers I tried first. Got myself a S3Savage4 16MB PCI-card some time ago. S3MeTal works on that card with no problems. I'm starting to think that mobile-versions of Savage just don't support MeTal.

Reply 13 of 24, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dj_pirtu wrote on 2020-11-04, 11:21:

Those drivers I tried first. Got myself a S3Savage4 16MB PCI-card some time ago. S3MeTal works on that card with no problems. I'm starting to think that mobile-versions of Savage just don't support MeTal.

Nope, it’s definitely working on my T21.

EB0BDD65-CFEC-47D3-97B6-C217DBD1F3FC.jpeg
Filename
EB0BDD65-CFEC-47D3-97B6-C217DBD1F3FC.jpeg
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 14 of 24, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that MeTal thing just for win9x? When I got my T21, it came with winXP installed and windows 2000 pro sticker at the bottom of the laptop. Been considering switching to win98se if the drivers exist.

Reply 15 of 24, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-11-05, 05:59:

Is that MeTal thing just for win9x? When I got my T21, it came with winXP installed and windows 2000 pro sticker at the bottom of the laptop. Been considering switching to win98se if the drivers exist.

Should be a Win98 thing - I didn't remember seeing any MeTal implementations for 2K/XP. And yes, drivers exist. Mine has been running Win98SE since the very beginning.

Reply 17 of 24, by WedgeStratos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Going to necro this thread because I am having some wicked issues with this T23 that I never remember experiencing in the past. I've jumped between the laptop itself and the docked experience a lot, but this go around, I've done a fresh installation. 98SE with naught but IE6 installed, Intel's chipset drivers, Crystal Audio, Battery MaxiMiser, IBM High Rate Wireless, Intel PRO/100 drivers, and I'm using a KingSpec 60GB PATA SSD and a 128GB SD card over PATA in the UltraBay 2000 hard drive caddy. Every other reboot, I may get a black screen, and the only way out is to force shutdown or three-finger salute. Upon reboot, I usually end up in 640x480x8 and have to re-install the driver. I'm at the end of my rope with this, and I'm wondering if it's the drivers from IBM. I used this specifically, I'm gonna try that one linked above. Alternatively, there's mention of modded Chrome drivers that may make Metal work correctly? IIRC, Metal worked fine when my GPU worked correctly in UT, but I can't test those drivers anyway. That WeTransfer site plain doesn't work for me. I've tried two different browsers and now have tried on my phone to no avail.

Does anyone know of a reason why this driver continually fails? I recall when there was still some form of the S3 site alive, I used an updated version from that, or maybe it was just the SDR drivers over the 1014 drivers...

Reply 18 of 24, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

T23 has breaking off inductors on the motherboard. I fixed mine when I got it for free by soldering them back on, also some inductor also partially solder fractured.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 19 of 24, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a gateway solo 5300 that has that savage ix gpu and, while metal looks like standard software mode, it performs way faster
so, my conclusion is that it works on that chip, but compatibility is way worse than it should.
that api was made specifically for savage 3d (excellent), savage4 (good), savage2000 (average) and savageix/mx (bad)

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475