VOGONS

Reply 41 of 50, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any more developments with the adapters?

Making pci exprrss cards work on old agp motherboards is an interesting concept. I know a lot of different adapter configurations have been discussed.

Do you have any thoughts as to why my radeon x600 isn’t working with an adapter in the same motherboard that a x1300 pci with the same bridge chip located on the card it’s self is working in?

🖥Craziest socket 7 build on a 430tx chipset
🖥Dual socket 7 build

Reply 42 of 50, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sdz wrote on 2020-09-23, 17:51:
Something like this? […]
Show full quote

Something like this?

20200624_184104.resized-1024x365.png
20200624_1841042.resized-1024x365.png

Even made a bracket for the V5 😀
20200624_183901-1024x665.jpg
20200624_183924-1024x634.jpg

I designed it a couple of months ago, AGP 1.0 1x (3.3V only), 4 layer board with uninterrupted ground plane under PCI signals, properly terminated unused AGP signals, 12V PCIe power input, 3.3V/5V switching power supplies which can deliver more power than the AGP specs require, separately filtered AGP VIO, high speed level shifters, it can work in any 3.3V/5V PCI slots, 33/66MHz jumper (if the mobo supports PCI 66MHz ofc), 2 fan headers with support for 5V/12V 3pin/4pin fans and adjustable PWM.

Just wanted to say, this looks very impressive! And you mentioned you had only 1? Because it doesn't even look like a prototype but more like a finished and polished product!
I also like the separate bracket for the Voodoo 5, nice touch to detail there =)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43 of 50, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Tetrium
Thanks!
I only made 1 because I only have 1 AGP V5 5500, and I'm not a fan of AGP systems.

@Sphere478
No new developments, the PCIe x4 to PCI@up to 133MHz, PCIe x4 to AGP(no sideband, we can call it PCI via AGP connector)@ up to 133MHz, and PCI to AGP adapters are all working fine, at least from my testing.
I'll upload all the files in in a month or two (I need to check if I did any mods on the actual boards, and update the files accordingly).

@Blaster
Thanks!

Reply 44 of 50, by Hazematman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello @sdz! Did you ever share the files for your AGP to PCI adapter? I saw that you said you are not interested in shipping anymore, I would love to go and try to build my own, if your willing to share the design files.

Reply 45 of 50, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sdz wrote on 2021-03-18, 22:21:
@Tetrium Thanks! I only made 1 because I only have 1 AGP V5 5500, and I'm not a fan of AGP systems. […]
Show full quote

@Tetrium
Thanks!
I only made 1 because I only have 1 AGP V5 5500, and I'm not a fan of AGP systems.

@Sphere478
No new developments, the PCIe x4 to PCI@up to 133MHz, PCIe x4 to AGP(no sideband, we can call it PCI via AGP connector)@ up to 133MHz, and PCI to AGP adapters are all working fine, at least from my testing.
I'll upload all the files in in a month or two (I need to check if I did any mods on the actual boards, and update the files accordingly).

@Blaster
Thanks!

Will I be able to send these files to a manufacturer and get them back fully assembled or will I have to order all the parts?

Btw, I have a x1300 pci that works good on my iwill k6 all pci board, it uses a bridge chip on the card (pci-pcie) but I can’t get drivers to work in win 9x so I thought I’d buy a x600 and put it on a pci to pcie card. Since it uses the same bridge chip I was kinda expecting it to work. But it doesn’t. I’m thinking it needs a custom bios? What do you think? Any chance you’d be willing to help me figure it out? I was really hoping to get something faster than a radeon 7500 on this build.

🖥Dual socket 7 build

Reply 46 of 50, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Tetrium
Thanks!

I've been having thoughts lately of adding a list of all member projects of this kind to the Vogonswiki and if I do, yours is definitely one of those that I'm gonna be wanting to add:P

Report spammers here!

Reply 47 of 50, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2021-03-20, 14:16:

@Tetrium
Thanks!

I've been having thoughts lately of adding a list of all member projects of this kind to the Vogonswiki and if I do, yours is definitely one of those that I'm gonna be wanting to add:P

Like a list of cool adapters and other hardware projects like orpheus and goldfinger etc?

🖥Dual socket 7 build

Reply 48 of 50, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-03-20, 15:42:
Tetrium wrote on 2021-03-20, 14:16:

@Tetrium
Thanks!

Like a list of cool adapters and other hardware projects like orpheus and goldfinger etc?

Yes. Seems like a logical thing to do, but I'm aware that it can be a bit slippery and this is why I haven't actually started out on it yet (I do follow all the threads though so I can find them again more easily).

Report spammers here!

Reply 49 of 50, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Hazematman I'll release everything soon.

@ Sphere478 You could send the files to a manufacturer and get the boards fully assembled, but for small qty, it will be extremely expensive. It is way cheaper to order the boards and the parts and assemble them yourself.
Regarding the x600, maybe try another PCI to PCIe adapter (with a different bridge IC).