VOGONS

First post, by Unite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had on of these cards back in the day and recently thought I'd build myself a system around this card just to play those few games supported by the Matrox API.

Problem though...

Other than the pack in games (Mech Warrior 2, Scorched Planet, Destruction Derby 2) nothing else will work when using the patches. Games will start to run then the screen will go black and the monitor loose sync. I thought it might of been my LCD screen not liking things but its exactly the same issue on an old Dell CRT I have. I once got Screamer 2 to boot and it looked amazing for about 10 seconds then the game crashed during the rolling demo. I'm using the latest drivers downloaded from Matrox. Maybe I should try the older ones from the original CD (yes I've still got the original CDs but its not the same card).

Worth noting this card I got has the 2mb memory expansion (so 4mb total). The screen image in windows is fantastic and those pack in games are working perfectly. Any ideas why the rest wont?

BTW in case your thinking I've lost my mind building a machine for the Mystique back in the day I had this card in my 100mhz pentium rig which meant destruction derby was unplayable. It just makes me happy to finally be able to play this disc I've had lying all those years. Oh and yes I also have a voodoo 1 to drop in there later but for now I want to get the Mystique up and running with those few games it supports.

Reply 2 of 2, by Unite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-26, 19:49:

I think that's infamous PCI bus mastering issue.

If I turn off bus mastering windows boots to a blinking cursor? All sorts of weird actually as if windows has booted in the back ground just no display.

edit: scratch that, after another reset it booted ok but no difference. I've changed the drivers to an older version and I can get the likes of screamer 2 to run (sometimes) but there is graphical corruption on various textures so I'm thinking perhaps the card has an issue. Odd though that it would work fine with the bundled games.

any other ideas, anyone?