VOGONS

First post, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I took my Hercules Dynamite VL card out of the storage to find out it is not working properly 🙁

The image is completely missing red and (mostly) blue parts. It is greenish and text is blocky:

DSC_8009.jpeg
Filename
DSC_8009.jpeg
File size
573.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
DSC_8008.jpeg
Filename
DSC_8008.jpeg
File size
430.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It was working perfectly just a few weeks back before putting it to the storage.

Any idea what could be wrong and how to troubleshoot it? Clearly something is bad in the analogue part...

Physically I can't find anything that is obviously broken. Those tantualum and SMD caps don't go bad do they?

DSC_8000.jpg
Filename
DSC_8000.jpg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
DSC_8001.jpg
Filename
DSC_8001.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 1 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably something wrong with GENDAC or connector itself. Judging from slightly corrupted text, likely former.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that looks like the effect I expect to obtain if I flip on the "256 color mode" bit in the Attribute Controller while in text mode. It would turn a monochrome 8x16 character cell into a 4-color 4x16 color cell.

If the problem is that the 256-color mode enable bit is stuck, it would be a defect inside the ET4000 chip. The 256-color mode color chart should look perfect. Before jumping to conclusions, please first make sure nothing interferes on the VL bus. Replug the ET4000 card. Remove any VL IDE controller. Try a lower FSB.

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two Hercules VLB cards. One exactly like yours, and the other is a Terminator 64 with Trio64 chip. They both developed the same problem with age, cold solder joints on the DRAM chips. It's possible you have a bad joint on the RAMDAC. Try pressing down on it while the system is running to see if the colours return to normal.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 8, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Touching chips had no effect.
It happens on at least two different motherboards and without any other cards in the system.
It is not text mode specific. Seems to be affecting all modes. This is what happens when starting Windows (standard VGA mode and default colour scheme):

DSC_8011.jpeg
Filename
DSC_8011.jpeg
File size
314.41 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

A hint of blue data is there but with a ghosting effect. Almost like colour covergence misaligment on old CRT monitors (but this is on LCD).

Still unsure if this looks more like a digital or analogue part issue and how an issue like this can develop...

Attachments

• DSC_8012.jpeg
    Filename
    DSC_8012.jpeg
    File size
    465.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 6 of 8, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is in the signal path between the DAC and the connector. Check the whole path for the red color. I suspect the choke (the big black round B1-B5 next to the plug)

EDIT
I took a closer look to your pictures. It seems there is more wrong than a missing color. So the root cause seems to be at the digital side. But it cannot be wrong to check the three analog lines from the DAC to the plug. There is a chance that it could be a broken connection and a shifted filter behavior.

Last edited by PC-Engineer on 2020-09-28, 08:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 7 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's difficult to find out whether the problem is caused on the analog or the digital side, because the analog signal is sampled by the monitor and displayed in a digital way. If you happen to have a good CRT at hand, the picture on the CRT might help finding out whether the problem is analog or digital. Further hints can be obtained from

• The behaviour of low-resolution modes like 40-column text ("mode co40").
  • The behaviour at different color depths (all you have shown so far seems to be 16-color pictures). 256 colors and high-color images would help. In case of a digital fault, the fault might depend on color depth.
  • The behaviour of the 1028x1024/256colors mode at 72 Hz (if your LCD can sync it). This mode uses a 16-bit data path between the ET4000W32 and the GENDAC, whereas lower resolution modes might use the legacy 8-bit path.

Reply 8 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the picture you posted it looks ever so slightly like R21 (next to the RAMDAC) was cracked.
I believe R21 is connected to the blue signal however so it is probably just a scratch and not related to your issue but still it may be worth checking it out.