VOGONS

First post, by amalgim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As the title says, what is the better setup or pros/cons between an AGP Voodoo5 5500 vs an AGP GeForce 4 with a Voodoo 2 PCI (or two in SLI)? A single Voodoo5 5500 is definitely a more expensive setup, but will it limit what games I can play or the performance of those games?

This is in a 440BX based P3 build with a 733Mhz chip that may be upgraded to a 1.2Ghz Tualatin Celeron if I can find the appropriate Slotket for a decent price.

Thanks for the info!

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't own a V5 I'd go for the GF4 and Voodoo 2
The GF4 will have much better D3D support, (eg like hardware TnL)
Voodoo 2 will have native support in most if not all Glide games (things like Need for Speed need hacking to support later cards)
and of course its a fraction of the price of a single V5

The catch is Image quality will be worse with the V2 pass though setup. Although doubt you'll notice unless you run them side by side.

You don't have to jump right to the top with a V5 though, Unless you want play with high display settings, vast majority of games will be fine with something like a Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 2 of 3, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went for voodoo 2 SLI and Geforce 4 ti 4600 with my build and so far things have been well. Late 90s to early 2000s dos/win98se multipurpose retro? build.
There aren't really games that require voodoo 5 and would not run well using the geforce 4.

Reply 3 of 3, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The one benefit of the Voodoo5 is the possibility to enable AA and AF on older Glide games that only support 640x480 or 800x600.

If you can live beside that, then I'd say a Geforce + Voodoo2 gives more flexibility and it's much cheaper.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes