First post, by RetroSpector78
I have an AMD K6-2 system here that I am experimenting with. It has an integrated AGP video card that I am not using. It is very slow (SiS chip) and it keeps on flickering my screen for some reason.
Unfortunately I don't have an AGP slot so I am limited to PCI.
Now, 3DFX cards seem to work really well here (banshee / voodoo 2). I'm sure a PCI Voodoo3 would be ideal but I don't have one.
So I wanted to explore some Direct3D / OpenGL options using other PCI cards. Now the bulk of my non-3dfx PCI stack includes
- Boring and slow S3 Trio / Cirrus Logic / Trident stuff
- Exciting but slow Matrox / Rendition cards
- Some faster / newer ATI / Nvidia PCI cards
So far from ideal. Would like to have some Riva TNT / Savage4 stuff in PCI, but I don't .... so I wanted to eplore those faster / newer PCI cards in windows 98se setting.
Taking the Nvidia FX5500 PCI card as an example, I noticed the following :
- OpenGL performance is ok-ish (playable) when using older nvidia drivers but not great. (around 15 - 20 fps)
- 3D mark scores / gameplay is about the same as my PCI Voodoo banshee
- In some synthetic benchmark sections it scores a lot better but in gameplay not really
- It struggles with a lot of Direct3D titles (NFS 3 / Midtown madness are all < 10 fps)
Is that the best I can get out of this AMD K6-2 platform with PCI ?
Are there other tricks and tips I can apply to make this a better experience ?
Are there other cards I should look at ?
Had this on my PCI wish list (but very expensive)
- Nvidia Riva 128
- Nvidia Riva TNT
- NVidia Riva TNT2
- ATI Rage XL
- ATI Rage 128 Pro
- Rendition V2220
- S3 Savage Pro 4
And this for the more modern ones
- Hercules 3D Prophet 4000 XT
- Radeon 7000 PCI
- GF2 MX
- GeForce FX 5500 pci.
- fx 5200 pci
- radeon 9250
- GeForce 6200 pci.
- PCI nVidia FX5200
Thx a lot