Topic actions

Reply 120 of 155, by yjfy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

12.3 RAGE Mobility-M and RAGE Mobility-P

November 2, 1998

ATI Technologies Inc. announced its new RAGE Mobility family of graphics accelerators, the RAGE Mobility-M and RAGE Mobility-P. These new products enable a "one-component graphics sub-system solution" and bring high-end performance in 2D, 3D and software DVD to the mainstream notebook segments.

The RAGE Mobility family extends the capability of theRAGE LT PRO graphics accelerator.

The RAGE Mobility-M and RAGE Mobility-P are pin-compatible with the ATI RAGE LT PRO

12.4 RAGE Mobility-M1

February 22, 1999 ATI announces RAGE Mobility-M1 -- the world's first notebook PC graphics accelerator with 8MB of integrated memory.

RAGE Mobility-M1 is pin-compatible with RAGE Mobility-M and P and is available in a similar package to RAGE Mobility-M, P and RAGE LT PRO. With the addition of the RAGE Mobility-M1

12.5 Rage Mobility 128

October 25, 1999

ATI announces RAGE Mobility 128 - world's fastest single-chip graphics subsystem for notebook PCs

Brings 128-bit desktop graphics to mobile computing for the first time

(From anandtech.com)

12.6 Rage Mobility M4

October 30, 2000 ATI Technologies Inc.announced Mobility M4, the industry's first shipping AGP 4X graphics component for the mobile platform.

.end.

Attachments

Reply 121 of 155, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice collection of prototypes as usual.
One question bugging me recently is the difference betweeen Rage 128 Pro and Pro2. If there is any. For some reason Pro2 cards seems to be always clocked synchronously. Anybody knows why?

Reply 122 of 155, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a little friendly critique, older cards do not have their compatibilities and capabilities listed.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 124 of 155, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) one of the best all around GPU threads i have ever read. amazing digging and compiling. awesome work!
2) as you find any details on any card, please feel free to add it. this is great for reference material.
3) I personally have 3 chips. A p1/200 with an onboard rage ii, a s370 celeron ~500 w/ onboard rage iiC, and a PCI Rage Pro Turbo, and the difference between them is not always totally clear. Maybe I'll finally settle my misconceptions down, if anyone can share.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 125 of 155, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cobra42898 wrote on 2020-11-07, 23:18:

Maybe I'll finally settle my misconceptions down, if anyone can share.

Differences between Rage II and Rage Pro are clear.
Is this helpful?
https://vintage3d.org/rage4.php

Reply 127 of 155, by 1ST1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very impressive presentation. Thank you! I still remember many of these cards, beginning with the Ega Wonder, I think I had many of them in my hand. I have a Mach 8 ISA and Mach 32 Ultra EISA Pro here and they soon will be setup in two 80486 EISA systems which are currently in restauration. A Rgae II is in my Olivetti SNX 140 PCI/EISA-System.

But what I miss in this overview is more specs, like supported resolutions, color depths, refresh rates, drivers available for which operating systems / software (download links?) , OpenGL/DirectX-Version (if supported).

Reply 129 of 155, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I typed up the part numbers in a spreadsheet. I'm sure there's a ton of corrections/additions necessary. Data entry was never my strong suit.

Filename
ati.pdf
File size
439.44 KiB
Downloads
58 downloads
File license
Public domain

I can make this a google doc if people want that.

Reply 130 of 155, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2020-11-17, 13:06:

I typed up the part numbers in a spreadsheet. I'm sure there's a ton of corrections/additions necessary. Data entry was never my strong suit.

ati.pdf

I can make this a google doc if people want that.

Yes please.

Reply 132 of 155, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The early VGA Wonder cards are really interesting, especially that prototype with the 8-bit edge connector and sockets for 512kb RAM. As far as I know, no such card was ever released.

ATi is a real b#$^ to document, because they released an insane amount of cards, each with dozens of minor variations.

For years I've been curious if an 8-bit version of the VGA Wonder was actually released. As far as I know, the card that you have listed as the "VGA Wonder-8" was always sold as the "VGA Edge". Going by the PCB, I suppose the original intention was probably to market it as a VGA Wonder, but I have never been able to find any advertisements listing it as such, and all loose cards I've seen had "VGA Edge" on the BIOS sticker, which is conveniently ripped off on yours.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 133 of 155, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2020-11-17, 19:24:

Says access denied and you must request access, is this intended?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 134 of 155, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's see if this works better--

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PAC … 9iANYMy/pubhtml

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-11-18, 15:56:

ATi is a real b#$^ to document, because they released an insane amount of cards, each with dozens of minor variations.

That's kind of why I put the spreadsheet together, because back in the day I just gave up trying to figure out the difference between a "Rage Pro Turbo" and a "Magnum Ultra Xpert @ Play-in-wonder"

It seemed like the ATI marketing department during the Rage years was in a "Our product's not great, so let's confuse the hell out of them" mode.

Reply 135 of 155, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another excellent thread with tons of pics! 😁

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-11-18, 15:56:

The early VGA Wonder cards are really interesting, especially that prototype with the 8-bit edge connector and sockets for 512kb RAM. As far as I know, no such card was ever released.

I remember the loads of Ati cards we found back in the day. As common as Virge, TNT2 M64 and GF2MX and every Ati card we found basically looked different from all the Ati cards that preceded it 🤣.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 136 of 155, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2020-11-18, 18:08:

Impressive work! Big internet kudos to you!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 138 of 155, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I want to know is why the EGA Wonders are not included in the "wonder years". VIP is a hard card to classify. It's technically a souped up EGA Wonder, so I'd probably classify it as a Wonder card (enhanced EGA Wonder or proto-VGA Wonder).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 139 of 155, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-11-19, 06:27:

What I want to know is why the EGA Wonders are not included in the "wonder years". VIP is a hard card to classify. It's technically a souped up EGA Wonder, so I'd probably classify it as a Wonder card (enhanced EGA Wonder or proto-VGA Wonder).

I was just being cute. The split is between the ATI168xx-x parts and the ATI268xx-x parts.

Putas wrote on 2020-11-19, 03:44:

Douglar, any chance of opening the table for editing? Perhaps you could check if people edit based on evidence...

Send me your gmail account via vogon message and I'll grant you access to edit it. The tricky part about collecting this stuff is that the first hand reports from the 90's have started to disappear from the web, people selling stuff on Ebay often use the wrong name or the wrong picture, and the data collection sites often have mistakes. Even YIFY has a typo "109-40600-10 listed as 109-40900-10".

Eventually I'll submit the data to the vogon wiki if they want it