User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First things first, my specs:

Mobo: SS7 board with a SIS530 chipset
CPU: k6-3+ 570Mhz
RAM: 256 Mb
Video card: Voodoo 3 2000 PCI running the 3Dfx 1.07 driver in Win98
OS: Win98 booting to pure DOS, with a variation on Phil’s config.sys and autoexec.bat

My problem is simple, I have no luck running anything Glide related in DOS, I simply do not understand what is going on. The screen switches to black, no 3Dfx logo or anything, the system just hangs. I have tried patching the games, trying different glide2x.ovls, running the K6-3 with 66mhz bus speed, but still I get nothing. And I am at my wits end. The card works flawlessly in Win98, no issues.

The games are: Screamer 2, Screamer Rally, Descent 2 (patched to 1.2), Carmageddon with patch and Tomb Raider. In Win98se Quake 1 & 2 plus Heretic 2 and Wing Commander Prophecy works.

I simply do not understand what is going on. What am I missing or not thinking about setting up? The computer just gives me a black screen and then it hangs. It reminds me of my Voodoo2 SLI setup on my P3 machine, where I actually think I gave up trying to make DOS Glide work.

I hope somebody can help, because I would really really love to have the DOS 3Dfx games working (the ones that work with the V3 at least).

Reply 1 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you seen this thread Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix and specifically this post? Re: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compability matrix
Keep in mind that sometimes you need to set the environmental variables (using the batch file intended for voodoo 2) AND do what's mentioned in the voodoo3 compatibility list

Reply 2 of 5, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I have looked through a lot of stuff, including the Compatibility Matrix. I managed to get Screamer Rally when i press F5 and bypass everything else, with and older glide2x.ovl. That glide2x.ovl doesn't work in Screamer 2 when I bypass config.sys and autoexec.bat. Screamer Rally hangs, when it tries to start with HIMEM loaded.

Reply 4 of 5, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I have the correct OVL (that works in Screamer Rally) and the correct S2_3dfx.exe, I think I have to try a different Screamer 2-version. But I appreciate the help. What is weird is, that only Screamer Rally works, out of Carmageddon, Tomb Raider, Descent 2 1.2, Screamer 2 and Rally, and it only works with conventional memory. Something is clearly amiss, so to speak.

Reply 5 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to check, you're using the correct Voodoo patches for those games you listed? Have you tried launching the games from Win98 and see what happens?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes