VOGONS

First post, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always thought that for DOS applications the VGA's memory size has no effect on performance.
Recently I upgraded an ISA Cirrus Logic 5424 from 512KB->1MB and decided for no reason at all (well, killing time during the lockdown is the reason...) to do a before-after comparison, on the same 386 PC of course.
I was expecting to see identical results, but no.

Consistently 3DBench had a score increase of 6% and Doom's fps increased by 8%
My question (and point of discussion) is what's causing this performance increase. Is it the software that's benefiting from the extra memory somehow? Or do such old cards implement some kind of interleaving and the card actually becomes faster?

I find hard to believe the latter. In any case and whatever the reason is, I just busted a myth of mine and I believe of many: performance does increase. I'm tempted to see if I have other upgradeable cards (or with socketed memory that I can remove) to see if this is a common behavior for all cards or only a few do something with the extra ram.

Reply 1 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's likely not the size of the RAM, but by while upgrading the memory you were likely also widening the datapath of the RAM to the VGA controller (probably from 16-bit to 32-bit).
Many 32-bit VGA controllers allowed the RAM to operate in 16-bit mode as a cost cutting measure.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 7, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depends also on your exact cirrus chip. Some later card used memory interleaving. Recently i read about some PCI models, which had it enabled after increasing memory from 1MB to 2MB.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 4 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2020-11-24, 12:52:

Ah so something does change on the card! Thank you guys, that was enlightening.

In this case: yes. But be careful with generalizations.

There are a lot of RAM upgrades on old cards that really do almost nothing; famously the CL-GD5428 can be pushed up to 2MB, but all it gives you over 1MB is a few eye-melting interlaced modes. No extra colours in non-interlaced modes, no extra performance. Check the datasheets of the VGA controllers to be sure: if you don't see any reference to what extra RAM does that's a pretty good indication it doesn't do much. For performance the thing to watch are bus width and interleaving.

Reply 5 of 7, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a newer example of this, a CL5434 PCI that enables 64 bit bus when upgrading fron 1mb to 2mb.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_Logic
And also noticed an important performance increase when upgraded a S3 805 VLB like this one https://vgamuseum.ru/gpu/s3-graphics/s3-805/

Reply 7 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only when accelerated graphics is in use (in Windows).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium