VOGONS

First post, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Need help getting 256 color and resolution bigger then 640x480 on My LCD Monitor Samsung 28" 4k and I am using a VGA to HDMI adapter and can get video but need higher resolution and 256 colors so I can play my old pc Games from DOS and some early 3d ones too?

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The integrated s3 video controler on the IBM likely supports 256 color 2D at 640x480. However that s3 isn't strong enough to play 3d games. The problem likely is not with the computer at all and is with the kooky adapter you are using and the TV. It probably doesn't support those resolutions or upscale them properly. Not all those adapters support those resolutions. You probably need somthing like this, btw they don't make it anymore or somthing compatible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJPitZh3HKA

Reply 2 of 5, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-01-04, 02:11:

The integrated s3 video controler on the IBM likely supports 256 color 2D at 640x480. However that s3 isn't strong enough to play 3d games. The problem likely is not with the computer at all and is with the kooky adapter you are using and the TV. It probably doesn't support those resolutions or upscale them properly. Not all those adapters support those resolutions. You probably need somthing like this, btw they don't make it anymore or somthing compatible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJPitZh3HKA

I'll see if I can find one of those and hopefully it'll work to get there.

Reply 3 of 5, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess I won't be getting one of those there 200 bucks and will just look for a vintage CRT of IBM's that might of came with it originally. I also believe it might be because someone who I bought it from reinstalled windows on it and didn'tt install the Graphics driver for the integrated graphics just the Generic driver windows installs.

Reply 5 of 5, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I Just bought a PCI Jaton 3DForce 6200 512MB for it cause that is my best and easiest option versus trying to find a special NLX low profile agp card for it and I have read it is the best for Windows 9X Gaming and also bought the low profile agp option for my Windows XP rig I have.