VOGONS

First post, by Superpuissant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

I've recently put together a Pentium MMX 233 for pure dos gaming (I am using Freedos 1.2) and it's working flawlessly. I have a Matrox G450 PCI laying around, would you considered it as a good option to pair with the p233? Maybe it is a bit overkill? Any recommendation?

Thanks!!

Reply 2 of 8, by Superpuissant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-05, 18:05:

Depends on what you want to play.

It's a dos dedicated machine, so mainly old dos games, up to some early 1996, 1997 early 3d games (tomb raider, duke nukem 3d, etc.). I have beefier options for windows 98.

Reply 3 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should work mostly fine. Apart from refresh rate tweaking in VESA modes.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 8, by Superpuissant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-01-06, 09:41:

You say the system is running flawlessly as is, Whats the currant video card?

Well, I've been using an ATI rage XL "replica" bought on aliexpress 😀
I was expecting nothing of it and basically just used it as a temporary solution. Everything I thrown at it ended up running pretty well (2d and early 3d like Duke 3D, blood, etc.), especially considering the low price I paid.

I've gave a shot to the Matrox and honestly I don't see much of a difference. Maaaayyybeee Duke 3D is running a little bit faster in 800 x 600, but frankly it's hard to say and not really the point with this kind of old machine afaic.
Even worst, the Matrox seems less compatible with some games like Commander Keen 1 displaying weird colors.

I have a S3 Trio 64V+ on the way, let see how it will end up.

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd agree that this era PC your not going to get much paratactical benefit in speed between cards. Compatibility is where benefits are to be had, something the Trio excels at.

For this era I pick cards that had their own 3d implementation, Your Rage would support the ATI CIF API as an example.
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

It's not a necessity though as the games don't benefit that much from their software mode equivalent, more just a bit of fun to play with a alternate version