VOGONS

First post, by MaTi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear,

I bought a 2nd hand, small K6-266 machine the other day, as I fell in love with it when I saw it:

1-KWGWm1-Pwg-RYDe-Ao-IDV6c9-UVCTh-Vf-Yz-LFhl3z-Nt-HBFEqerau-Rq.jpg
1-KWGWm2-Xr-Qe-Le-Z1-Ccr-IWk8r83j-Dz-Cc-BHzst9-MB4-Xvxs6-VBSyz-Q.jpg

I'd like to add some glide support.

IF I can get the onboard sound card to run under dos Ill hook up my MT32 for midi and settle with the onboard soundcard.
That leaves me two pci slots (voodoo2 sli?) or one, if I need to populate the ISA bus with a sound blaster.

Now, I don't have too much space for one/two voodoo cards. it cannot fit any card longer than 17.5cm (6.8") - 'thats what she said'.
The card I have is too long.. Which voodoo card (type and brand/model ideally) would you recommend for this machine?

I plan on running Win98se and play win98se / DOS games on it.

Thanks!

Still relatively new, but spending too much time on retro already.. 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe all voodoo1's and 2's are pretty much the same size/design, I maybe wrong though. I'd avoid putting 2 voodoo2's in there, even if they did fit.
A PCI voodoo3 + extra cooling should be just fine if the v1 and v2 don't fit. It compromises DOS glide games compatibility but if it's the only possibility you don't really get to choose.

Reply 3 of 10, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, so you're the person who snapped up that little machine. Congrats, looks like a fun system!

I don't know about short voodoo cards, but can tell you that the onboard sound card (Yamaha YMF715 aka OPL3-SA3) should work just fine under DOS. It has a genuine OPL3 synth and good SB Pro/WSS support. You can use Tiido's SETYMF utility to configure the card under DOS: http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC/

Reply 4 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2021-01-07, 13:12:

I believe all voodoo1's and 2's are pretty much the same size/design, I maybe wrong though. I'd avoid putting 2 voodoo2's in there, even if they did fit.
A PCI voodoo3 + extra cooling should be just fine if the v1 and v2 don't fit. It compromises DOS glide games compatibility but if it's the only possibility you don't really get to choose.

One exception: the very first one is shorter - the Orchid Righteous 3D. Looks like that would fit -
1200px-Orchid_Righteous_3D.png

Reply 6 of 10, by MaTi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all!

@Lennart: Haha yep! Here comes the fun part: I drove to the guy's house, he opened.. Then he was like 'Wait, I know you...'. I didn't remember the place or the guy, so I couldn't confirm.. Then after 10mins of chatting or so he said "Wait.. Didn't you buy a Highscreen Pentium machine from me, last year??" ..Then I remembered, I actually did. Same house, same guy. I guess I have bought too much crap the past year; seen too many houses.. That was quite funny 😀

The orchid would fit perfectly well I think! I'll go look for one, unless anyone comes up with better ideas 😀
V3 or banshee would be nice too, but those are too long I think? Couldn't find any dimensions online either..

Reply 7 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo 3 PCI is roughly 17.5 cm from PCB corner, so might be tight fit.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 10, by MaTi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's awesome feedback, thanks!
Just to be sure, are the voodoo3 1000, 2000 and 3000 all equally sized for the pcb?

Reply 10 of 10, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-01-07, 14:28:
One exception: the very first one is shorter - the Orchid Righteous 3D. Looks like that would fit - https://upload.wikimedia.org […]
Show full quote
konc wrote on 2021-01-07, 13:12:

One exception: the very first one is shorter - the Orchid Righteous 3D. Looks like that would fit -
1200px-Orchid_Righteous_3D.png

I've got that one in my current 486 build. I love the sound it makes when the mechanical relay switches toggle between 2D and 3D modes!