VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by malloc32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ODwilly wrote on 2021-01-21, 09:08:

If your being cheap and it is between a geforce4 or 5 for a P1 system id just buy a Virge or Rage or something. A P1 system just isnt the place for something that new IMHO.

But A p200MMX can move half life, descent, tomb raiders I, II, III.... The computer has a s3 virge DX, but for better 3d performance an update will be welcome.

Reply 21 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

All 3 use the same drivers

No. GeForce FX 5500 and GeForce 4 MX do not use the same driver. You can easily install much earlier drivers on any GeForce 4 MX.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22 of 27, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
malloc32 wrote on 2021-01-21, 07:47:
Out of stock :( […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-21, 00:06:
here is a pentium 1 266 tillamook that with a mod or two you may be able to get to run in your motherboard. Just search for one […]
Show full quote
malloc32 wrote on 2021-01-20, 22:34:

Thank you very much. I will play some days with its s3 virge , I wait to see your benchmarks. Thank you very much.
I will measure vcore without jumpers , it is a KM-T5-T1.

Thank you.

here is a pentium 1 266 tillamook that with a mod or two you may be able to get to run in your motherboard. Just search for one like that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-MMX-26 … &epid=115412347

Also here is this.
Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

Out of stock 🙁

I will see if they go on sale again. Also see if the board provides 2V.

Thank you very much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Intel-Pentium-MM … mgAAOSwkghc5Jmj

I guess you have to message them and tell them you want a tillamook 266

Btw if you see a 300 socket 7 golden fake in your travels let me know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SL2Z4-Intel-Pentium- … CUAAOSwP25a0Qhb

I ordered from this guy and they canceled and refunded saying they were out of stock but the ad is still up. Could try🤷‍♂️

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 27, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-21, 10:12:
chinny22 wrote:

All 3 use the same drivers

No. GeForce FX 5500 and GeForce 4 MX do not use the same driver. You can easily install much earlier drivers on any GeForce 4 MX.

No the mx4000 came out around the same time as the 5500, it's a 64bit card with mx440 clock speeds designed for the sub $50 gpu market released in 2004.

Reply 24 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
malloc32 wrote on 2021-01-21, 09:52:

But A p200MMX can move half life, descent, tomb raiders I, II, III.... The computer has a s3 virge DX, but for better 3d performance an update will be welcome.

You can run all those games on a much faster computer with all the 3D performance you want. If you're looking for a nostalgic experience, then isn't suboptimal performance going to be part of that?

Reply 25 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No the mx4000 came out around the same time as the 5500

Please read my message again.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 26 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
malloc32 wrote on 2021-01-20, 20:30:

My motherboard min vcore is 2.8V, so I can't install a K6-2, but really I want use an old pentium, for nostalgic. I can't find a period correct card with my budget, and voodoo are very expensive, so I think that my options are geforce4 mx4000 or fx5500, that cost around $30. On ebay I have to pay shipping cost, so these period correct cards are even more expensive...

Sorry for the rez, but I wanted to mention that it really helps if you give us partnumbers. Many boards of that era have undocumented jumper settings and may actually support lower voltages, especially since you mentioned your board is a 430TX.
Whether or not any particular board will work in practice with a lower voltage chip like the K6-2 is another matter as the lower CPU voltages may strain the board beyond what it is build for.

Personally I'd probably just leave it as is (if I were in your position). A working retro PC is already a valuable item as is, especially if it's running perfectly stable right now.
If you really want to change things, you could opt for to add something like a Voodoo 1 or TNT2 M64 or something else contemporary like those, or upgrade mobo and CPU and the whole lot using a more recent board. Perhaps your CPU can be overclocked a bit to 233MHz at least. Many 200MMX CPUs were multiplier locked though with all higher multipliers disabled. There's probably also the FSB overclock (if only to add Cyrix compatibility and because the chipset is often simply capable enough to be overclocked to 75MHz FSB or even 83MHz FSB).
I'm not sure though how much a CPU overclock will help with the Virge though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 27, by malloc32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2021-02-15, 20:04:
Sorry for the rez, but I wanted to mention that it really helps if you give us partnumbers. Many boards of that era have undocum […]
Show full quote
malloc32 wrote on 2021-01-20, 20:30:

My motherboard min vcore is 2.8V, so I can't install a K6-2, but really I want use an old pentium, for nostalgic. I can't find a period correct card with my budget, and voodoo are very expensive, so I think that my options are geforce4 mx4000 or fx5500, that cost around $30. On ebay I have to pay shipping cost, so these period correct cards are even more expensive...

Sorry for the rez, but I wanted to mention that it really helps if you give us partnumbers. Many boards of that era have undocumented jumper settings and may actually support lower voltages, especially since you mentioned your board is a 430TX.
Whether or not any particular board will work in practice with a lower voltage chip like the K6-2 is another matter as the lower CPU voltages may strain the board beyond what it is build for.

Personally I'd probably just leave it as is (if I were in your position). A working retro PC is already a valuable item as is, especially if it's running perfectly stable right now.
If you really want to change things, you could opt for to add something like a Voodoo 1 or TNT2 M64 or something else contemporary like those, or upgrade mobo and CPU and the whole lot using a more recent board. Perhaps your CPU can be overclocked a bit to 233MHz at least. Many 200MMX CPUs were multiplier locked though with all higher multipliers disabled. There's probably also the FSB overclock (if only to add Cyrix compatibility and because the chipset is often simply capable enough to be overclocked to 75MHz FSB or even 83MHz FSB).
I'm not sure though how much a CPU overclock will help with the Virge though.

Thank you very much. The mobo is a KM-T5-T1 v1.32 . Perhaps a small overclock (233MHz, but I want a Pentium I/MMX, in a future probably I will prepare a powerfull computer, socketA, super socket 7...).
Saddy the chinese graphics card has arrived, computer doesn´t boot, 430tx pci's are 2.1, perhaps this card is 2.2 or 2.3, it doesn't work 🙁. I have buy a gf4 mx4000 that seems PCI 2.1 (not chinise, it is a Jaton).
Voodoo 1 or TNT2 M64 are too expensive for this project. Now I have a p120 (430fx), 16MB, trident9440 (after some time upgrade to a S3 Virge 😮), and a SB that it is really like my computer in 95..98, this the computer that I would have liked to have, a p200 with more RAM and with a "real" 3D card, at the moment is a GF4 because others are to expensive, I like riva tnt2 M64, but at the moment too expensive...(Spain, shipping...)