VOGONS

First post, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an extremely DOS and Win98 unfriendly laptop - Toshiba Satellite 5205. It has GeForce4 460 Go. Usually, I just add the device ID into NVAML.INF altering the closest to my videocard line and that's it. But not this time. Here how XP driver looks like:

7uG8-eFeToI.jpg
Filename
7uG8-eFeToI.jpg
File size
229.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So it's NV17 and DEV_0177

Then I've tried three versions of 9x drivers:

nVidia Detonator/FW Driver v56.64 Win9X setup
81.98_forceware_win9x_english
45.23_win9x_english

But all of them have info only about NV10 and NV30. Never saw NV17 there. So I've added this line manually:

b9LzF63LeYw.jpg
Filename
b9LzF63LeYw.jpg
File size
323.23 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
gFzqHnRIIao.jpg
Filename
gFzqHnRIIao.jpg
File size
345.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But no luck.

G9ng06n3AoI.jpg
Filename
G9ng06n3AoI.jpg
File size
350.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'm out of ideas. Maybe NV17 chips had specific drivers that are not publicly preserved in nowadays?

And since I've created a dedicated thread, maybe you can help me understanding what's going on here: https://youtu.be/temDvlb2QV0 Why it's so messed up? Laptop with geforce 2go and laptop with 4200ti don't have such issues.

Reply 1 of 5, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can't just add NV17 in the early part of NVAML.INF and expect the driver to magically support it, you have to use one of the existing options that the driver actually supports.

I would try the NVCRUSH17 that the 01F0 device uses.

If that doesn't work try NV10 which is what the regular Geforce 4 MX uses.

Reply 3 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here I modded a driver for you. Manually install from device manager. Don't run setup.

unzip the file and drop it into Detonator 45.23 folder that you extracted. Then go device manager and install manually.

There are proper ways to mod driver, what I can see the way you are doing it is not like how I am doing it.

Attachments

• Filename
    NVAGP.zip
    File size
    4.32 KiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's okay, Ive modded them myself and the setup was working (I love installing stuff via official exe). Though it didn't help me, this laptop can't run DOS games properly for some reason, many of them have artifacts. Maybe Toshiba altered smth, I dunno. Quick example:

https://youtu.be/temDvlb2QV0

From native DOS games work well here, but Yamaha 753 doesn't have DOS support.