VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

which is the oldest and/or latest Win9x/ME compatible vga by ATi/AMD already built on the PCI-Express socket if they still existed?
I'm considering a dual o.s. machine 'Win ME + latest Linux' to have a both old and modern usable home machine and I've this P4M890 based (P4M8907MA-RS2H) Foxconn Socket 775 mb that seems to sort of work in Lubuntu while I had NDIS error problem installing Windows 98 (with 512MB of ram strangely). I'm trying to understand where was the problem cause I'm using more or less time correct components even an IDE disk.
I can't be lucky with the vga on modern Linux kernels/xorg cause the Unichrome open drivers should be too old for that, but I might use some PCI (Geforce FX 5200 PCI) or PCI-EX cards..
I'll still be limited by the 512MB Win9x/ME limit of ram but I'll look for the tweak for that.
I noticed that latest linux kernel didn't seem to understand or have at all, the VIA usb drivers so I've to use another (VIA ironically) PCI one.
As cpu I'm using a Pentium 4 661 latest P4 3,6Ghz 64bit core but I could go up to the Pentium D 960, or back to the Celeron D ones. 😀 Ram is 2GB DDR2 @ 533 and it seems to see up to 3GB (2GB should be the maximun strangely).

Thanks for any hints.

Reply 2 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry I always read about the fastest or latest AGP cards but not usually the oldest PCI-EX ones and I could have looked better on the search engine. 😀
I suppose I might not need the fastest one so I could look for the cheapest version of that.

Reply 3 of 4, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Radeon X600 series should also work with the 6.2 Win98 drivers, if you're looking for something cheaper and less power hungry.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 4 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, Radeon X600 is essentially just Radeon 9600 ported to PCI-E.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.