VOGONS

First post, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Over a year ago I picked up this Hp Pavilion 27xi monitor from in front of the local E waste place. I initially thought that I got lucky; I took it home and plugged it in, and it looked great! As time went on, I realized why it had been left there. After it has been left on for some length of time, it will lose the resolution, and revert to something like 800x600 (native is 1920x1080). To be clear, the set resolution isn't changed, just the effective resolution. If you power cycle it, it will return to normal for a while, but the problem always returns. Because it was a cheap and easy thing to do, I replaced the capacitors on the mainboard, but that changed nothing. There are some people on this forum whose knowledge of electronics and troubleshooting far outstrips my own, I'm hoping they could guide me in the right direction.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 1 of 6, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried a different power supply with it? I've experienced issues with devices when their power supplies start going bad and then replacing it and the problem is solved.

Reply 2 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-31, 19:04:

Have you tried a different power supply with it? I've experienced issues with devices when their power supplies start going bad and then replacing it and the problem is solved.

I haven't - when I brought it home I found the one for my cousin's old laptop had the same voltage and plug, and worked perfectly. As the problem cropped up and then became more pronounced over time, I did check the voltage on it, and it's still on spec. Unplugging the power supply and plugging it back in is a sure fire short time fix for the issue.

Reply 4 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-31, 19:12:

Have you tried a different input to see if the problem follows?

Yes. I initially hooked it up with DVI, and it ran for some time before the issue cropped up. I then tried HDMI, and it went away for long enough for me to think it just had a bad DVI output, but then it came back.

Reply 5 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems to be a heat issue in that it will take quite a while after it is first plugged in and turned on to begin happening, and once it does it will happen again within a few minutes of being reset by unplugging the DC converter and plugging it back in. Also, the screen goes dark then comes back on when it happens.

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2021-02-01, 00:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 6, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried feeling and if the components after it starts acting up? That could lead you to what part is failing and then you can replace it and have a fully functional display.