VOGONS

First post, by imafuturecorpse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, here's the thing: I'm putting together an old PC, and I notice while installing the graphics card that the Molex Connector didn't seem to be seating fully into the Molex slot of my Nvidia FX 5950 Ultra graphics card, so I think "I'll just use a spare Molex cable from another PSU which fits better", so I plug it end and start up the PC. Poof! Smoke and a small plume of fire.

I'll be including an image of the burnt spot on the graphics card.

So once again I'm needing help identifying parts to replace on a graphics card. This is the second Nvidia FX 5950 Ultra I've got that's giving me issues. The other came in the mail damage, and now I've damaged this one. So I'm going to need to repair both.

If anyone can help identify the damage parts so that I can find some replacements, that would be nice. Also, any advice on how to avoid a similar problem in the future would also be appreciated.

Please and thanks.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 5, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imafuturecorpse wrote on 2021-02-03, 03:38:

Yes.

That's a big no-no 😒
Chances are that modular cables from different PSU's are wired differently, even if they are of the same brand.

With some luck maybe only some fuse blew.
But most likely it's way worse then that.

Reply 4 of 5, by imafuturecorpse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that's...aggravating. You'd think most cables would be wired the same. Especially considering how much standardization has been implemented since the 2000's onwards.

It looks like a few chips got burnt, and some fuses. It seems mostly contained to a central area, so if I could find out what the damaged parts are and find a supplier of new chips/fuses, I could solder some new ones onto the board.

That's the last time I try to work on a computer at midnight after lacking sleep for a day.

Reply 5 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imafuturecorpse wrote on 2021-02-03, 21:37:

Well, that's...aggravating. You'd think most cables would be wired the same. Especially considering how much standardization has been implemented since the 2000's onwards.

It looks like a few chips got burnt, and some fuses. It seems mostly contained to a central area, so if I could find out what the damaged parts are and find a supplier of new chips/fuses, I could solder some new ones onto the board.

That's the last time I try to work on a computer at midnight after lacking sleep for a day.

Don't feel too bad as I'm sure we've all been there! - I once managed to plug a molex connector in upside down (yes & but how?) on a Sapphire Radeon X850 XT Platinum AGP. The 12V / 5V shuffle is not a good idea 🙁