VOGONS

First post, by AwesomeMarioFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have an old CRT monitor which has a bad VGA cable. The picture will display with a tint to it (due to one of the wires for a color being intermittent), and if I bend the VGA cable a certain way the picture will display normally again. The issue is towards the end of the cable at the connector, so I was wondering if I could take another VGA cable and splice it onto the monitor's cable? Also, would this cause interference to show up on the picture?

Thanks,
John

Reply 1 of 2, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Impedance control is pretty important for analog video transmission lines. I would not recommend splicing the existing cable. Take the monitor apart and replace it entirely. Use a quality mini-coax based cable

Reply 2 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-02-04, 03:35:

Impedance control is pretty important for analog video transmission lines. I would not recommend splicing the existing cable. Take the monitor apart and replace it entirely. Use a quality mini-coax based cable

I wholeheartedly second that . Impedance issues will generate signal reflections which will generating "ringing"/"ghosting" (not to be confusing with LCD ghosting which is totally different phenomenon) .

Here is an example of what "ringing"/"ghosting" can look like .

https://i.imgur.com/1gFIFNj.jpg

EDIT: "ringing"/"ghosting" is the faded doubling on the right side of graphic elements . The softness is a likely a bandwidth issue .
EDIT2 : Here is an example of "ringing"/"ghosting" without the softness . Re: VGA Capture Thread