VOGONS

First post, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I've just installed a new PCI Guillemot Maxi Gamer Phoenix in my Pentium II system.

It's a Voodoo Banshee. I downloaded the drivers from the VOGONS library and installed them after updating the VGA BIOS to the version included in the drivers (which was newer than the BIOS on the card).

Initial results with various games are good. I did have to reinstall a few of them, like NFS III, but it worked fine after a reinstall.

However I can't run 3DMark 99. I get a message that 3DMark 99 requires a DirectX 6 compatible 3D accelerator to work. Shouldn't the Voodoo Banshee support at least DX7?

Simmerhead - Old is gold!

Reply 2 of 8, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

Driver version is 4.12.01.1157 - It's the official Guillemot drivers, and according to the VOGONS library the lates ones available.

I haven't installed any separate version of DX, but I had an S3 Virge card installed before the Voodoo, and 3DMark 99 ran fan with that installed...

Reply 4 of 8, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2021-02-05, 18:41:

Can you try Evolution 0.9 drivers? They work fine for me.

Will check them out!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-02-07, 21:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3DMark99 uses FILE_VERSION_INFO of DDRAW.DLL to detect the version DirectX. IIRC, DirectX 9.0c runtime broke this and 3DMark99 thought the OS did not have the right version of DirectX it was looking for.

Reply 7 of 8, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BigDaddyM wrote on 2021-02-05, 19:03:

Try to install dx7

That did the trick.

Tried reinstalling DX6, and everything worked fine in DXDiag, but it would only test 3D acceleration in software mode. That made me suspicious.

Got a hold of DX7a and installed it - now everything works.

3DMark 99 requires only DX6, but I suspect the Voodoo drivers I was using was of a newer date, hence required DX7 for proper 3D acceleration.

Now, some pointless, but fun, benchmarking to do 😀

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-02-07, 21:45. Edited 1 time in total.