VOGONS

Finally my 3dfx Voodoo2 SLI project!

Topic actions

First post, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there Vogoners,

I'm happy to annouce that finally I'm introduced in the world of SLI in Voodoo 2 world!

I took another one Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo2 for about 50 dollars (45 euros) and I decided to make it work together the other one that I am selling.

So for now I'm absolutely excited to tell that I am doing the first SLI in the world, like other of you made before, I see.

This is my system:

Pentium III Coppermine 1GHZ (about 1,1ghz overclock)
512MB of DDR266 RAM (2x256)
Asus CUV266 motherboard with Apollo 266 chipset VT8633-VT8233
ATi Rage PRO Turbo 8MB AGP2x
2x Voodoo2 8MB (Diamond Monster 3DII-Creative 3D Blaster CT6670)
Sound Blaster Live! SB0060
Dual Boot System WinXP on 40GB Hard disk and Win98SE on 10GB Hard disk
PSU CoolerMaster RS350-AMSP 350W

I put some photos now so you can see the system!

My first question is the same of others...Is my SLI working properly?
I have seen a youtube video of the great Phil that make around 5000points in 3dmark99 max with exactly the same system. I am doing 3300points. What's wrong?
The 3dfx INFO tab sees only 4MB of framebuffer and 4MB of total memory. But I can play correctly at 1024x768 in Half Life, Unreal etc.
What kind of proofs I can do?
Both cards seems hot, so I think they are both working.

I cannot anyway understand a result so low comparing it to Phil's one.

I am using the FastVoodoo 4.6 drivers.
Should I reinstall and try the 4.0 Gold edition?

Take a look at the photos, and I hope you enjoy!

I'm feeling lucky boy, in 2021 I am playing with a SLI of Voodoo2 working!

I love this retro computing and it letterally saves me from COVID home-time.

Take a look and please, advice me more that you can!

Attachments

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 1 of 21, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No reply?

I was thinking a lot of you was happy about this "old" project!

I attach another photo hoping someone of you will awake!

Attachments

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 4 of 21, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Byrd wrote on 2021-02-18, 01:44:

In short - if you're playing at 1024 x 768, SLI is good 😀 And yes the 4mb/4mb split is also correct for 8MB SLI setup

Perfect, thanks a lot.

Overall system picture sorry? Tell me what you want and I will do 😉

Love beer, too.

Reply 5 of 21, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
biessea wrote on 2021-02-18, 09:39:

In short - if you're playing at 1024 x 768, SLI is good 😀 And yes the 4mb/4mb split is also correct for 8MB SLI setup

Perfect, thanks a lot.

Show us the complete build under a desk with it's monitor, speakers etc. What do you see when you are about to sit down and play.

Reply 9 of 21, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dkjr wrote on 2021-02-18, 18:38:

Those boxes are awesome 😀

aren't they? I LOVE them! 😀

Love beer, too.

Reply 10 of 21, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-02-18, 09:58:
biessea wrote on 2021-02-18, 09:39:

Perfect, thanks a lot.

Show us the complete build under a desk with it's monitor, speakers etc. What do you see when you are about to sit down and play.

Here we go dear, my desk and my system.

Anyway, for the poor 3dmark99 max benchmarks I have an idea, but unfortunately I think I cannot doing something about that.
I read various reviews of the mainboard, the ASUS CUV266 with VIA Apollo 266 chipsets (VT8633-8233) in one test an user in this forum has made was showing how that chipset work bad with PCI video cards, this is the link:

Fastest Tualatin Chipset / Best Pentium III Motherboard

He said that this motherboard has really bad performance when used a video card on the PCI slot, this is why probably I cannot reach great results on 3dmark99 ( I made about 3300 points at 1024x768 when Phil reached 5000points, it's a 33 percent lower).
But it's strange, cause in 3dmark00 score is little lower than Phil results, so I am thinking if Phil perhaps wrong on write the results, even if I don't think so, cause Phil is so precise.
I am wainting to know if there is something that I can do for this "lack" of performance in this SLI PCI configuration.

Attachments

• IMG_20210219_105216.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210219_105216.jpg
    File size
    544.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The inside build.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20210219_105056.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210219_105056.jpg
    File size
    120.48 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Centurion case where the 3dfx SLI is contained. Awesome.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20210219_105041.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210219_105041.jpg
    File size
    349.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Desk with Olivetti PS2 Keyboard and Logitech PS2 mouse, Dell monitor P1914 and the magical Incoming CD
    File license
    Public domain

Love beer, too.

Reply 12 of 21, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get some air cooling going for these Voodoo 2's...they get hotter the faster the cpu speed is. Putting them in like this and also with other cards above and below, they will get really hot.

When Voodoo 2 got released a Pentium II 300 Mhz was the fastest processor and i'm sure the cooling/thermal design is based on the cpu speed back then. Also these cards today are over 20 years old now and failures are pretty common.

Nice build otherwise! Congratulations!!

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 13 of 21, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Burrito78 wrote on 2021-02-19, 18:21:

Get some air cooling going for these Voodoo 2's...they get hotter the faster the cpu speed is. Putting them in like this and also with other cards above and below, they will get really hot.

When Voodoo 2 got released a Pentium II 300 Mhz was the fastest processor and i'm sure the cooling/thermal design is based on the cpu speed back then. Also these cards today are over 20 years old now and failures are pretty common.

Thanks a lot,
yeah yeah I know that these cards run hot, and I am interested in buy some passive heatsink, I saw on internet some black passive nice heatsink to apply on these three big chip. I only have to take measurement and there I go.
With this Pentium 3 1ghz I know that these chip will run hot, and in fact my system is full of card, you know. Thanks for the advice.

I loved the Creative system too, I love this speaker that are very qualitative-audio (Creative T20II) and the Live! soundcard that I set up with Vxd drivers.

Thanks all, I really love that build, I have only to understand more if possibile why my chipset (or my system) seems to not performance so well with this SLI. (even if the benchmarking with Quake 2 and Unreal at 1024x768 is similiar to Phil's benchmarks that he made on his project of CPU scaling.

Love beer, too.

Reply 14 of 21, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Burrito78 wrote on 2021-02-19, 18:21:

Just a note, Pentium II 333 Deschutes was already out, and first 100 Mhz FSB Pentiums II, 350 and 400 was around that age in april 1998 too. 400 was easily overclockable to 450 with 112 FSB on most BX chipset motherboards. So basicaly, that was the fastest processor and I wouldn't be suprised to see +50% more FPS, than with 300 Mhz / 66 FSB version.

Btw, you're right with cooling, and age of those cards. I recommend even downclock them, and if it is possible, try to decrease voltage with some modified BIOS and stuff. voodoo2 SLI is only for 1024x768, performance is not so important, for Glide only games, even 1 voodoo2 is enough, and for later games, that needs more power, you can use primary card in AGP with direct 3D or openGL. I'm running my voodoo3 most of the time underclocked to 95 Mhz. (stock speed is 166 Mhz)

Reply 15 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the first time I seen 2 8MB Voodoo 2 cards being used in SLI, nice.
I can see that cooling is already mentioned. Your case looks to be not so great for cooling, especially with no exhaust fan. Even if you give the V2s some active cooling, they might end up just circulating the hotter air around.

Is your case missing the little plate that goes to cover up the L-shaped top bits of the expansion cards? At least this might add a little bit of air circulation in the case but it may not be very optimal, so to say.

You could opt to underclock your system from a 1GHz Coppermine using 133MHz FSB (or so I presume you're using the 133MHz FSB Coppermine) to a 750MHz clock with 100MHz FSB Coppermine. This will significantly reduce the amount of heat the P3 will produce.
Not that Coppermines get so very hot (especially when compared to something like athlon or netburst) but that won't do you any good if the warmed up air has no really good way to get pushed out of the case.

Nice of you to have SLI working 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 21, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2021-02-20, 17:18:
This is the first time I seen 2 8MB Voodoo 2 cards being used in SLI, nice. I can see that cooling is already mentioned. Your ca […]
Show full quote

I can see that cooling is already mentioned. Your case looks to be not so great for cooling, especially with no exhaust fan. Even if you give the V2s some active cooling, they might end up just circulating the hotter air around.

Is your case missing the little plate that goes to cover up the L-shaped top bits of the expansion cards? At least this might add a little bit of air circulation in the case but it may not be very optimal, so to say.

You could opt to underclock your system from a 1GHz Coppermine using 133MHz FSB (or so I presume you're using the 133MHz FSB Coppermine) to a 750MHz clock with 100MHz FSB Coppermine. This will significantly reduce the amount of heat the P3 will produce.
Not that Coppermines get so very hot (especially when compared to something like athlon or netburst) but that won't do you any good if the warmed up air has no really good way to get pushed out of the case.

Yes, I got working SLI 8MB cards 😉

What do you mean about the little shape that miss in the case?

Today I just placed a 80mm fan in the rear to pull off the heat from rear.
And next week I will have 28x28x8mm heatsink to place on three 3dfx chips 😉

Love beer, too.

Reply 17 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
biessea wrote on 2021-02-20, 21:28:
Yes, I got working SLI 8MB cards ;) […]
Show full quote
This is the first time I seen 2 8MB Voodoo 2 cards being used in SLI, nice. I can see that cooling is already mentioned. Your ca […]
Show full quote

Here, marked in red. I have a case which has a very similar opening but it uses a small plate of metal which is put in the red area in the pic here and then screwed to keep it in place (I also marked the little screw hole).
That rectangular shaped hole (which I made red) is supposed to be filled up, or at least in the case with such an opening which I have. It seems to be missing in your case.

Attachments

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 21, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2021-02-20, 21:51:
biessea wrote on 2021-02-20, 21:28:
Yes, I got working SLI 8MB cards ;) […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Here, marked in red. I have a case which has a very similar opening but it uses a small plate of metal which is put in the red area in the pic here and then screwed to keep it in place (I also marked the little screw hole).
That rectangular shaped hole (which I made red) is supposed to be filled up, or at least in the case with such an opening which I have. It seems to be missing in your case.

Oh yes, I understood now.

Probaly I have lost it, or probably in the past I had removed, but I think it is simply lost, or when I acquired that case it wasn't simply there.
Do you think it can ben a real problem in cooling that components?

Anyway like I said before, I have a 80mm fan intake putting air inside the case (I don't think it make a lot air anyaway) and now a 80mm Noctua fan that pulls out air from the case.
I am waiting passive heatsink to dissipate all the three 3dfx chips on each card, and I think things will run better.
Anyway at the moment, I have no real problems with games, all run smooth without any issues, probably the chipset that is known to be worse than others on PCI video cards, doesn't make to pull out all them power, who knows.

Love beer, too.

Reply 19 of 21, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here I am finally.

The heatsink are arrived and I just installed them!

Here we go with the images! What do you think about it?

I tried in Unreal for about half an hour and they was warm, but non definately hot!

I think I succeded in the cooling operations!

Attachments

Love beer, too.