VOGONS

First post, by red2211

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone! I am new to old hardware. My first old pc is - Amd k6-2 400mhz, 256mb ram, s3 trio 3D/2x 4mb agp and my mobo is Gigabyte GA-5AA(This pc was given to me by my relative). My graphics card was a little glitchy and now it’s completely died. I decided to buy new more powerful one and on OLX(Ukrainian Ebay) and I found GeForce 4 mx440 8x 64mb from Gigabyte gv-n4464d for around 5$. I put it into my pc and it started to beeping and of course did not output image. Unfortunately I can’t be sure that card it self in working condition. Maybe this card is incompatible with my mobo.

Reply 1 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That card is an AGP 8x card, so that increases the likelihood that it won't work in your AGP 1x - 2x board. You can take a look at this post that spells it out in detail: http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
But it could be that it is a genuine universal AGP 3.0 card, in which case it could be that it draws more power than the AGP slot on that motherboard can provide, or it's too much for the power supply that you're using, or it's not a working card. Can you provide the power ratings for the power supply that you have?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It can be hit or miss with Super 7 motherboards - I have an FX5600 AGP card that will work in my Epox MVP3G-M, but my Soyo 5EMA+ (same chipset) will not POST with that card.

Reply 4 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That should be enough for that system if it's putting out the rated power - the difficulty there is that power supplies can degrade over time. If you had another power supply on hand, I'd suggest trying it out, but the most likely problem is that the card (assuming it for sure works in other systems, which would be nice to know for sure) needs more power than the AGP slot in that board can provide. In this video, Phil uses a GeForce FX5500 PCI card in the ATX version of the motherboard you have to avoid issues with the AGP implementation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=key3tXC0axI

Reply 5 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That card is an AGP 8x card, so that increases the likelihood that it won't work in your AGP 1x - 2x board

No, it doesn't.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 12, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the S3 Trio3D/2x served you well on the games you played, maybe you need another AGP 2X card.

Check out this photo:

875-front.jpg

If you notice closely, the card on the photo has 3.3Volts only compatible pins, so it is AGP 1X-2X.
Being that SS7 boards are the first ones with AGP, you'd have a better chance sticking with an AGP 1X or 2X (Like the S3 Trio/2X -> 2X stands for AGP 2X) since they are from the same era. Cheers!

Reply 8 of 12, by red2211

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Likely I found another 3D/2x and its working) One of my friends have old pc in village and he would bring me a agp card from it. I don’t now what card it is but I now it’s form 2005-2008 maybe it will work. And this friend is only one who have an agp board and as I mentioned before it’s in village so at this moment I will be waiting for him and use another 3D/2x.

Reply 10 of 12, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red2211 wrote on 2021-02-17, 19:55:

And one more question, is this video card 3d/2x good for dos gaming?

Very good, but may also require few software fixes:
- problem with "washed" black Re: S3 AGP Cards (and possibly others) Too Bright
- VESA VBE 2.0 fixer by wbc S3VBEFIX - PC\MS-DOS TSR fix for S3 VESA 2.0 video BIOS

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 12 of 12, by red2211

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok guys, I found fx5500 in my school it class, I took it home and now what agp 8x 256mb card is working on my mobo! I think that GeForce 4 mx440 that I bought is broken. Now I have working fx5500 but it missing fan so I need to find it.