VOGONS

Do you want an EGA monitor?

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 44, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well guys... I'm really hoping the shipping works out. I just snagged a Sony CPD-1302 for a very good price.

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sony/monitor/CPD-1302/

It's a multisync analog\digital Trinitron, made in Japan in 1988. It has a 9pin connector which apparently supports CGA, EGA, MDA, PGA and IBM 3270 signals! It has lots of adjustments and settings. The operating instructions manual linked above is amazingly thorough and informative. It gives the pinouts required for the various interfaces (CGA, EGA, etc.) and describes the switch settings needed to achieve certain results. This looks to be an extremely flexible monitor and I will definitely be using this! The seller said they are familiar with shipping monitors and have not had any damaged up to this point, so I'm hopeful. I just wish it wasn't traveling 2500 miles. 😮

Can anyone tell from the documents above if this is compatible with other types of computers or game systems? I'm unfamiliar with Apple, Amiga, Atari ST, etc. I have no idea if they even use digital or analog signals. The only ones I've really used in recent years are basic composite video systems like the Apple IIe, C64, C16 and TRS80. Would just be nice to know if this monitor can be used on something other than CGA\EGA cards on IBM compatibles.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 43 of 44, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS-less Hercules InColor scaled the MDA timings programmed by the system BIOS to something within the specifications of EGA monitors by replacing the 16.257MHz oscillator with a 19MHz oscillator.
That trick should work with an MDA, too.

By the way: The MDA can then technically output 16 colors, provided that you either have a very early version that still connects the relevant traces to the output connector or that you add them back.