VOGONS

First post, by diovanti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any way (BIOS update, TSR perhaps?) to get the Matrox G400 AGP to work properly with DOS games that use the Commander Keen engine? I could always switch to a more compatible DOS card but I'd like to keep this one as it has excellent NT3.51/WfW3.11 support as well as good third-party driver OPENSTEP support.

Reply 1 of 5, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are the issues you are having with your current card / drivers and bios version. What are you using as complete setup?

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 3 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
diovanti wrote on 2021-03-12, 18:59:

Is there any way (BIOS update, TSR perhaps?) to get the Matrox G400 AGP to work properly with DOS games that use the Commander Keen engine? I could always switch to a more compatible DOS card but I'd like to keep this one as it has excellent NT3.51/WfW3.11 support as well as good third-party driver OPENSTEP support.

One way around this, if your motherboard supports choosing an AGP or PCI card as primary, is to add another PCI VGA card to the PC and switching cards when needed through BIOS. This would imply having a free PCI slot (to install the card in) and having a way the switch card outputs on the monitor that you are using (VGA switch or if your monitor has a currently unused input, you could use it with that additional PCI card and switch inputs on the monitor as needed) .