VOGONS

First post, by Gabriel-LG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I feel very lucky, to have a CRT monitor at home for my retro PCs. Sometimes, I switch it off if not used for some time. Other times it is in standby, for a couple of days, in between usage. Now I was thinking about plugging the PC into one of those power saver distribution sockets. So the monitor and peripherals will be cut off if the PC is not in use.

Now there are 2 things on my mind:

1. This may lengthen the lifespan of the monitor since all components are discharged most of the time
  2. This may shorten the lifespan of the monitor since all components are charged and discharged repeatedly.

So in short, will cutting power to a CRT affect it's lifespan, compared to keeping it in standby?

Reply 1 of 8, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't worry too much about it, really. The CRT power supply probably has a thermistor to limit the inrush current, so when you turn it off give it a few minutes so that the thermistor goes back to room temperature. Also CRTs are degaussed when you turn them on, but in the manuals they recommend not doing this too often. So, again, do not turn it on immediately after you turn it off.

Keeping that in mind, there should be no major issues I think. Also, leaving it in standby will put more stress on the caps of the standby line, which in theory reduces their lifespan (in practice, it won't matter that much unless they're on a very hot area).

Reply 2 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It isn't going to make much difference on longetivity. The only thing you have to actually worry about is the tube itself and it wears when the tube is actually showing an image. Monitor in standby is only wasting some power, but majority of it is completely off and subject to normal power on/off cycle.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 8, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since we're on the topic of things that could positively or negatively expect the lifespans of CRT monitor, if an old CRT monitor hasn't been turned on in a while, say, a few years, is there any kind of precaution that would prevent it from giving out when it's suddenly turned on again?

Reply 6 of 8, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, but if I haven't done that, and I want to turn it on again, should I just do so and then troubleshoot if it doesn't work (or blows out a cap when it switches on)?

Or would it be better to open it up and to examine the caps first?

Is there a risk of any irreparable damage?

Reply 7 of 8, by Gabriel-LG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for the replies 😀
Now I can install this with confidence.
Nice thing is that I will no longer have to physically unplug my speakers anymore. It has a transformer coil so close to the speaker, that it's EM leakage drives the speaker, generating a constant hummmmm... (I checked, it is really the transformer 😜)

digger wrote on 2021-03-17, 13:44:

Okay, but if I haven't done that, and I want to turn it on again, should I just do so and then troubleshoot if it doesn't work (or blows out a cap when it switches on)?

Or would it be better to open it up and to examine the caps first?

Is there a risk of any irreparable damage?

If it is easy to open and worth the effort, then I would definitively check the capacitors before turning it on.
But even after optical inspection, it is still a gamble... That is what makes retro-computing exciting, right 😉

Reply 8 of 8, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, this is the monitor of my Dad's Olivetti M24, the first computer we had at home when I was a kid. I have quite a nostalgic fondness for it. 🤗 As you can imagine, I really don't want to damage it beyond repair. Not only because monitors of this type are quite rare these days, but also because this particular monitor is the one that my brother and I played so many games on when we were young.