VOGONS

S3 ViRGE deep dive

Topic actions

First post, by diagon_swarm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I there, I wrote a long text about S3 ViRGE series cards, where I discuss the differences between the models, 3D core features, performance hit caused by certain features and even why some games had visual issues on these cards.

I know that there are very few people in this world who can appreciate such a topic. However, if such people exist, they will be here 😀

https://retro.swarm.cz/s3-virge-325-vx-dx-gx- … tors-deep-dive/

viper-racing-rendering-4.png

Vintage computers / SGI / PC and UNIX workstation OpenGL performance comparison

Reply 1 of 30, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent write up!

I use my Virge mainly as a 2D card, because it has excellent DOS game compatibility. But I do occasionally play some S3D games out of curiosity, even if the frame rates aren't that great. It's not a card that I would recommend for Win9x gaming, but it's pretty solid for DOS.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 30, by diagon_swarm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

vetz: Definitely yes. I plan to add an in-depth article about the SGI IrisVision 3D accelerator for PCs soon. It should have been released with the current ones (Virge, OpenGL MCD, Toshiba Libretto), but there was still too much work remaining, so I postponed it. Given my current interests, I assume that I will write something about the 3D hardware in SGI Indy and SGI O2 workstations in near future… or maybe about my TIGA-compatible SPEA card (which I am developing a vector game for). Other consumer 3D accelerators are planned too, but I cannot promise any date as I am very slow...

Reply 8 of 30, by diagon_swarm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Putas: My fault. I've just fixed it in the text. I always thought there must be a triangle setup engine inside it, because the card provides good triangle-rate results even with period correct computers, but based on the dev docs, you need to send precalculated slope parameters to the card.

Reply 9 of 30, by diagon_swarm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BigDaddyM wrote on 2021-04-11, 19:35:

Thank! Great reading 😀 Did You measured fillrate of these cards?

All the results we* measured are accessible here: http://swarm.cz/gpubench/_GPUbench-results.htm
... the pixel fill-rate numbers mentioned in the article are all based on our own measurements. More info about the benchmark here: http://retro.swarm.cz/gpubench/

*) This is a collaborative effort of multiple people.

Reply 11 of 30, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a great time using my Virge DX (Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro) in terminal velocity s3d edition which produced a reasonable framerate with some of the settings effects turned down. Much more enjoyable than software graphics. I didn't bother using it in any other game but maybe this article has maybe changed my mind 😀

Cheers

Reply 12 of 30, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The S3D version of Tomb Raider is fairly nice too.

You get a 16-bit color palette (up from 256 colors in software mode), perspective correction and bilinear filtering. In terms of performance, an overclocked Virge DX can reach ~20 FPS at 640x480. Not too bad considering the game is capped at 30 FPS. Swaaye has some gameplay recordings on his YouTube channel.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 13 of 30, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that framerate is rough for TR and drops way under 20fps, but what can be said in virge's favor is that it doesn't seem to run with that stupid high washed out gamma like voodoo1 did.

as hinted at in the article 400x300 would be a much more sane resolution for this chip... but with the lack of features it seems like a lost cause anyway. there's also the case of later software renderers - in the article there is a comparison of needing a 1ghz piii to match virge's performance in software opengl for quake, but unreal's software renderer will deliver much more impressive results on a cpu half as fast.

Reply 14 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow what an impressive article! kudos!
I did not know about the real benefit of the VX variant , indeed a misunderstood chip!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 30, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
auron wrote on 2021-04-12, 07:07:

that framerate is rough for TR and drops way under 20fps, but what can be said in virge's favor is that it doesn't seem to run with that stupid high washed out gamma like voodoo1 did

Swaaye was using an original Virge for that video, not the DX.

My overclocked Virge DX stays closer to 20 FPS most of the time, according to the built-in frame rate counter (activated via F2 key). If you lower the resolution to 512x384 it can even overshoot 20 FPS at times. Of course, you get a locked 30 FPS at 320x200 but that's too pixelated for my taste (in that game).

Reply 16 of 30, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So apparently the (Dell branded) STB Nitro3D I have is one of the 'best' Virge cards, cool.
In 1996 my dad got a store-bought P166 MMX with an S3 Virge (original chip) and Aztech 2320 soundcard. In retrospect neat components being that they were common OEM fodder but also very compatible.
The S3 card came with the special version of Descent 2, however that crashed quite often. At the time I wasn't aware of any other games that could utilize the chip (such as Pod, which also came with the computer because of MMX). I tried GlQuake using a wrapper but it lacked textures. I also remember somehow, just once, getting Turok 1 to work on the card - I remember being really surprised at the time, and frustrated that I couldn't get it to run a second time. But it seems so strange that I might just be misremembering.

Reply 18 of 30, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting writeup. I suspected that the DX with EDO mem is preferrable to the GX with SDRAM, and now I know why.

As someone who tested the faster Virge DX in many 1990s 3D games, my impression is that it was OK for 1996 - 1997 simple 3D games, especially if you use a lower resolution like 400 x 300. The 3dfx Voodoo set high expectations for 640 x 480 at 30fps, but it was in a league of its own, and other 1996 3D cards including the Virge never promised such performance.

However, S3 and the Virge series as a whole is not without blame. Other companies like Ati and Nvidia made great improvements in their products every year from 1996 to 1997 and 1998. But S3 milked the Virge series until 1998 when the Savage3D got released, and even that was plagued by buggy drivers and was an overall disappointment. Playing 1998 games like Half Life, Blood2 and NFS3 on the Virge is just painful, no matter how you tweak the settings. And you can forget about Unreal on the Virge.

Overall, I think generally bad cards do deserve the bad reputation they get, even if typical youtubers like to exaggerate things. But Virge is not alone in that regard. Many graphic card makers like Matrox, Trident and CL had a rough time keeping up with the times as 3D games complexity and consumer expectations grew every year.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 19 of 30, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and other 1996 3D cards including the Virge never promised such performance.

Virge and 3dfx were never direct competitors to begin with. Voodoo 1 was not a video card and Voodoo Rush was a joke. It started to get really toasty for S3 after Riva 128 and Rage Pro were released.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.