VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have read that the Voodoo3 has really good DOS support and that there is driver for Windows 3.x. I received my replacement Tomato 4DPS and 486DX2-66, yesterday. While I have some form of Mach64, I decided I want a V3, at least to play with it, and because I like exotic and esoteric systems.

I have an AGP V3 3000, and I see that PCI versions are expensive. I see that there are AGP to PCI adapters and riser cables are out there, meaning I could figure out how to get a setup such as this in a standard case.

Is there anything that I need to know?

Thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To be very short,
Don't.
A 486 dx2 66mhz is completely underpowered towards a voodoo 3.
Even the voodoo 2 (non sli) would never be put to the max with that processor. And these cards are PCI and affordable.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 2 of 14, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo3 AGP cards rely on +3.3V to be supplied by the AGP slot to work. I don't think your board supplies the PCI slots with +3.3V so you'd need an AGP-PCI adaptor that does this for you. Voodoo3 PCI cards have their own power conversion for that reason and the transistor gets quite hot despite its heatsink.
Alternatively 3dfx Banshee PCI cards still seem to show up regularly for ok prices. They're still overkill for any 486 system.

Reply 3 of 14, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The snail.

Attachments

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 4 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote on 2021-05-16, 14:24:

The snail.

Haha, there is indeed no better way to put it 😂

Builds:

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 5 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the replies. It is okay to me that certain cards are overkill. My main retro rig has a Voodoo 5 with a V2 (hopefully with a 2nd V2 in SLI, someday) and A V1 in it, in a P3 system. I have no use for the V3, and I know that there is Win3.x support, and that it has great DOS support.

Without an adapter that does power conversion, I am looking for Win3.x drivers for a 3d Rage Pro (109-41900-10;) preferably a CD image of the driver disc with any apps that it may have com with. I may make a separate thread for that. I am also going to be putting together or modifying a P133 (or P166MMX if mobos I need to test are working,) and a Leading Edge P60 (socket 4 with a battery mod I need to implement where I use AA batteries in a wired pack.) I can use the V3 in one of those if I find a suitable adapter.

I just want the best possible experience in each build and I hope to utilize parts I have on hand, if possible.

Reply 6 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-16, 17:01:

My main retro rig has a Voodoo 5 with a V2 (hopefully with a 2nd V2 in SLI, someday) and A V1 in it, in a P3 system.

How does that work?
I can imagine the voodoo 5 with a voodoo 2 or a voodoo 1 in a system, but all 3 of them at the same time? I am curious in how you got that to work?

Builds:

Reply 7 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aebtdom wrote on 2021-05-16, 21:29:

My main retro rig has a Voodoo 5 with a V2 (hopefully with a 2nd V2 in SLI, someday) and A V1 in it, in a P3 system.

How does that work?
I can imagine the voodoo 5 with a voodoo 2 or a voodoo 1 in a system, but all 3 of them at the same time? I am curious in how you got that to work?

I use two passthru cables. I read that you can put the respective glide files in each game's directory and it will engage the voodoo card that is compatible with those particular glide files. I ran the Tomb Raider demo to test my V1 when it arrived, as it has the glide files needed in the directory. It worked. Another user on VOGONS mentioned using custom scripts to engage each card as needed, but that is beyond my current skillset.

Last edited by Scythifuge on 2021-05-17, 04:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought one from Russia a couple years ago.

Generally, they only come up for sale when somebody buys enough parts to make a few just so they can use up the minimum order of pcbs they had to order.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-16, 22:29:

How does that work?

I use two passthru cables. I read that you can put the respective glide files in each game's directory and it will engage the voodoo card that is compatible with those particular glide files. I ran the Tomb Raider demo to test my V1 when it arrived, as it has the glide files needed in the directory. It worked. Another use on VOGONS mentioned using custom scripts to engage each card as needed, but that is beyond my current skillset.

Ah ofcourse. Should have known 😁

Builds:

Reply 12 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have decided to assemble a Pentium II PC from Gateway parts, as I found a Tabor II board. My Gateway from back in the day was a Pentium III 450 with 64mb of RAM and a Voodoo3. I don't have a spare P3 at the moment, but I have a couple of P2 CPUs, and I'll use one of those until I can get my hands on a P3 450 CPU. I even have a gateway case. It is a little different from the case that I had, though it is still a Gateway case (and with a proprietary PSU.) I had a Sound Blaster Live! in that Gateway, and I have an SB Live! from a Dell pc. It won't be exactly the same, though I will be able to nearly recreate the Gateway I had by using the Voodoo3 in that build. I have decided to assemble as many retro PCs that I can with the parts I have, and to connect them all to a LAN for old school DOS and Windows MP games. I have decided, at least for now, to keep the 3d Rage Pro in the 486, though I have an ATI card from 1996 that I may use, and then put the 3d Rage Pro in one of my Pentium 1 builds. I may try to hunt down 3 or 4 Voodoo1 cards, since games like Jedi Knight and Myth run good on a Pentium 90, and I still recall how awesome Jedi Knight looked and played once I got a Voodoo card, back in I believe late 1997 or early 1998.

Reply 13 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How does that work?

I use two passthru cables. I read that you can put the respective glide files in each game's directory and it will engage the voodoo card that is compatible with those particular glide files. I ran the Tomb Raider demo to test my V1 when it arrived, as it has the glide files needed in the directory. It worked. Another user on VOGONS mentioned using custom scripts to engage each card as needed, but that is beyond my current skillset.

I have been searching the web for a while now, without any luck, but which files do you have to put in a game directory to make it run with the voodoo 2 or voodoo 5 resp? They are used in one pc.
I'm hitting a wall here somehow.

Builds:

Reply 14 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aebtdom wrote on 2021-05-30, 20:35:

How does that work?

I have been searching the web for a while now, without any luck, but which files do you have to put in a game directory to make it run with the voodoo 2 or voodoo 5 resp? They are used in one pc.
I'm hitting a wall here somehow.

I read that you have to put the respective glide files from the card you wish to use, in the game directory. So if you wanted to play Myth - The Fallen Lords, you would put the glide files from the Voodoo1 install, directly into the Myth folder. If you install the 3dfx Tomb Raider demo, you can see which files are in the main game directory. So games from 96-97 would use the glide files from a Voodoo1 install, games from 97-98 would use the files from a Voodoo2 install, and games from late 1998-2000+ would simply use the Voodoo 3, 4, or 5 drivers. You should install the Voodoo drivers in ascending order. That way, if you havge a Voodoo 3-5 and want to play Deus Ex, Windows won't be looking for a Voodoo1 or Voodoo2. So install Voodoo1 drivers, then Voodoo2 drivers, then Voodoo3-5 drivers. Then copy Voodoo1 or Voodoo2 glide files into the main directory of each V1 and V2 game.

Rather than do all of that, I am using CF-IDE drives with CF -SD adapters, and putting Windows 98SE/Voodoo5/SB Live on one SD card, Windows 95 OSR2/Voodoo2/SB AWE on another card, Windows 95/Voodoo1/SB AWE on another card, and a separate card for MS-DOS 7.1/WFW 3.11/SB AWE/SVGA Patch for Win 3.x. Each card will have each era's games installed on them, and I'll use them not unlike a cartridge based game console. I'll disable Voodoo 1 & 2 and the AWE on the WIndows 98 card, disable V1 and SB Live on the Windows 95 OSR2, and so on..