VOGONS

First post, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been using a Dell Dimension 4600 P4 Socket 478 PC as a Win 98SE computer. I came across a GeForce 6800XT AGP video card and have been trying to get to work. I have tried 3 different drivers that say they support the 6800 XT ... official Nvidia 81.85 and 81.98 and the unofficial tweaked 82.69 drivers. All 3 give an error that no Nvidia chips were found. If I install the generic VGA driver and then manually install the drivers, for both the .85 and .98 drivers I have to force it to use the 6800 XT driver and Win98 complains that the driver isn't intended for my hardware. When I reboot I get the BSOD. For the unofficial drivers, it detects a 6800 GS/XT and reboots fine into 16 color 640x480 mode. However, if I change either the color settings or the resolution, upon reboot WIN98 complains that the settings are incorrect and slowly freezes. Upon reboot, I am back at the BSOD.

Not sure if anyone has gotten these cards to work. I realize they are probably somewhat unstable at best. I ask just because the drivers do say they support the GPU and would like to get it working if I can. However, I have done probably 50 combinations and reboots of trying to install and I am coming to the end of trial and error finding a winning combination.

BTW, I would go the XP route but I have a Core Duo machine with a 550 Ti already so I am looking just to upgrade the Win 98 machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK 6800 XT from XFX is just custom GeForce 6800LE card with GDDR3 memory. It's still NV40 chip with native AGP bus, so it should work with early drivers, which predates Nvidia cards with PCIe-AGP bridge.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 7, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So no luck getting this to work. Went back to the 66.94 drivers and tried the LE as well as the generic 6800 Series GPU drivers and still get BSOD. Actually, the screen goes to a blinking green cursor with red background before BSOD so a little different behavior but still can't get the 6800 XT to work properly.

Reply 7 of 7, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried setting up in XP, it worked fine but when I rebooted black screen. I am thinking there may be an incompatibility with the motherboard. It's a Dell and there aren't many BIOS options especially for video. I did see some posts about AGP settings like legacy, etc. I am guessing that I can get it to work under XP with enough troubleshooting, but I'm not sure it's worth it.