VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I am looking for a dump of BIOS 3.01 for the ATI EGA WONDER 800 card, anyone has this?
All I can find online is the older 1987 1.03 BIOS

uQ93Thr.png

thanks!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A good friend actually had an EGA WONDER 800 with the 3.01 BIOS - it came from an old PC manufacturer called ERGODATA and has the Greek charset in it...
He provided a working dump - although having the GR variant is kinda cool nowdays it's somewhat annoying because special ascii characters are getting replaced all over the place 🤣

db5P7e0.png

3vEx1D3.png

I am attaching the 3.01GR dump in case anyone else needs it - maybe someone can even restore the stock English charset or something....
Not certain what the changes are from the more common 1.03 version - maybe 3.x added better/proper VGA modes 11 and 12 support.

Attachments

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 6, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work! Is that Chips IC the DAC? It's bigger than the actual graphics processor in that case. 😜

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have no idea where the DAC is - if any. Maybe inside the ATI custom chip? there is certainly a crude resistor part for the composite output, it's that row of resistors behind the rca jacks

Reply 4 of 6, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ATI EGA Wonder 800 at my Dad's house. (I think it's the regular 800 and not the 800+, but I'm not 100% sure)

I have an EPROM reader/programmer, so I just need to remind myself to bring it with me, the next time I visit my Dad.

In the unlikely case that noone else here (or on VCFED?) can't provide this for you, I'd be happy to help you out with this, if that card has the (English) ROM with the version you're looking for. 🙂

Reply 5 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks digger appreciate it! Let's hope the card at your dad's pc really has the 3.01 ROM 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No idea if the rom has a checksum or similar, but the 16x8 charset seems to be at the end of the file starting at hex offset 6ff0.
16 bytes per character.
Though it probably has a few more character sets in the rom .

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port