VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My go-to test bench has always been an Intel SE440BX-2 with a 550MHz P3 Slot 1 Katmai. Lately, I have had some issues testing bog-standard AGP cards like the Riva 128 and TNT. I get the series of beeps (one long, three short, I think) and no video. Other cards work fine, like Geforce 2 MX and Voodoo 3 3000.

I decided to try the cards that didn't work in my D815 system with an 866MHz P3 Socket 370, and they work fine.

Any idea what's going on? The PSU is different, but not sure why I would have trouble with older AGP cards. Thanks for any help!

Reply 1 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both are from the same period as the motherboard, Hell my SE440BX-3 (Gateway OEM) shipped with a 16MB TNT.
I'd put it down to some hardware combinations just don't play nice

Reply 2 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a similar issue with my GF4 MX440 when it is inserted on a Slot 1 AGP occasionally. Try twiddling the cards when the computer turned off a bit to see if the POST screen appears.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 5, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think my SE440BX-2 may be just a little picky about its AGP cards, which is weird given its reputation for stability. It's possible the caps are failing, I guess. I pulled out my Socket A box, which has a real reputation for flakiness because of the VIA Apollo KT133 chipset, and it handled ALL of the AGP cards just fine. It may become my new test bench, oddly.

Reply 4 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might have dirty contacts in the board, making it flaky or picky about which cards it makes good contact with.
I've used Deoxit to clean a couple Slot-1s before and was convinced it made them more reliable. Unfortunately that stuff tends to be pretty ridiculously priced.
But if you've reseated those cards over and over and it always behaves the same, then it starts to seem like something else could be going on.

It's hard to think of what would make a Riva128 or TNT less compatible than a Geforce2 MX with a 440BX board. I doubt there's much difference in power draw.

Reply 5 of 5, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote on 2021-08-27, 01:17:
You might have dirty contacts in the board, making it flaky or picky about which cards it makes good contact with. I've used Deo […]
Show full quote

You might have dirty contacts in the board, making it flaky or picky about which cards it makes good contact with.
I've used Deoxit to clean a couple Slot-1s before and was convinced it made them more reliable. Unfortunately that stuff tends to be pretty ridiculously priced.
But if you've reseated those cards over and over and it always behaves the same, then it starts to seem like something else could be going on.

It's hard to think of what would make a Riva128 or TNT less compatible than a Geforce2 MX with a 440BX board. I doubt there's much difference in power draw.

I know — it’s all so strange. What’s weird is that this was a NOS box when I built it five or six years ago. Every component except the SDRAM. The PSU was a new Corsair, so it seems unlikely that it would be failing. I’ll clean the AGP slot with Deoxit and contact cleaner. Maybe swap out the CPU and DIMM.