VOGONS

First post, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got it from ebay, listed as MDA/Hercules. Would like to know more like brand or make?

Will be pairing it with my amber monochrome monitor, hope this works 😀

51489281114_df1650d3a3_b.jpg

51487780072_c8f0f003f5_b.jpg

Last edited by Badscrew on 2021-09-18, 08:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, looks like Winbond, a ubiquitous Hercules clone.

One of the jumpers selects the external character generator ROM, the other disables the LPT.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 8, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The wires you see on the first photo were connected to an external switch to select between the character ROMs.

Good to know that the LPT could be disabled: I already have one on my multi-io card. Is it closed disabled or open disable, do you know?

Reply 6 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Badscrew wrote on 2021-09-18, 11:31:

Good to know that the LPT could be disabled: I already have one on my multi-io card.

Remember that the parallel port on MDA/Hercules cards is at port 3BC, and thus won't conflict with a parallel port on a multi-I/O card at 378. You might still want to disable the video card parallel port to avoid the multi I/O port becoming LPT2.

Reply 7 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

with two parallel ports you could do a stereo 8bit R2R DAC !

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Badscrew wrote on 2021-09-18, 11:31:

Good to know that the LPT could be disabled: I already have one on my multi-io card. Is it closed disabled or open disable, do you know?

In the card I have, closed = disabled.
But indeed, it probably won't conflict with the I/O card.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...