VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was testing a video card I'd ordered from eBay and was having some very strange and inconsistent results. The system did not boot, card needed to be reseated, sometimes it worked but did not on reboot, and then I got a message telling me of a problem with my BIOS ROM! Another reboot and the system appeared dead. Surely the problem lies with the BIOS and it is only now acting up. So I swapped to a different board.

But the problems persisted and I even received another corrupt ROM message on that motherboard! There were also very scary issues where the system would not boot at all with no codes displaying on my POST card after reverting to a different video card. Several power cycles, reseating parts, and disconnecting and reconnecting the power supply brought it back to life.

The only thing that was consistent was this card I was testing. I used my multimeter and found a dead short across several capacitors. Who knows what's wrong with the thing but this was very scary. I hope I didn't do any permanent damage to anything.

Notice in the photo with the corrupt Energy Star logo it says "checksum error". I have a BIOS battery. Not only was the ROM affected but also the parts that are writable by the BIOS.

Also notice that the memory size got messed up and only detects 2048KB with three 128MB sticks installed. This would have been after a warm reboot while doing diagnostics.

IMG_20210920_135603_resize_8.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210920_135603_resize_8.jpg
File size
579.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210920_135640.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210920_135640.jpg
File size
447.08 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210920_135657.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210920_135657.jpg
File size
322.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210920_140559_resize_65.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210920_140559_resize_65.jpg
File size
468.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 9, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes it was. But I think a lot of people who say this don't actually test the card. I could not boot I to Windows even once when it did make it past POST.

I don't know who owned this last but take a look at these screws. I'm pretty sure it didn't come like this from the manufacturer.

IMG_20210920_145028_resize_27.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210920_145028_resize_27.jpg
File size
240.89 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 9, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quite recently I bought a s462 motherboard from eBay advertised as "tested and working". Well, it didn´t.
I contacted the seller about it and he offered a refund. Before leaving negative feedback, try contacting him, If the seller is decent he should act the same way.
Altough that won´t bring back your damaged motherboards...

Reply 5 of 9, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-09-20, 20:49:

Quite recently I bought a s462 motherboard from eBay advertised as "tested and working". Well, it didn´t.
I contacted the seller about it and he offered a refund. Before leaving negative feedback, try contacting him, If the seller is decent he should act the same way.
Altough that won´t bring back your damaged motherboards...

Hopefully OP's boards have a recovery+floppy mode

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 6 of 9, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kahenraz's experience is horrifying similar to my own: two Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M went dead due to corrupt BIOS but I could not be sure whether the video card (Gigabyte GV-R9000 Pro II) was the culprit.

Reply 7 of 9, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I worked on this for a couple of hours but wasn't able to trace where the problem was coming from. Something is shorting to ground and when you plug in the molex connector it shunts 12V from the power supply through a capacitor and then brings that to ground too.

I removed all of the shorted capacitors and lifted the legs of any diode that was also showing a short without success. This is a very sick card and I'm not very eager to find a reason to plug it back into something with all that's wrong with it.

I wonder if it's possible for the short to be inside the GPU? Its very strange that it worked intermittently. I only know how to do basic diagnostics for repair and this is as far as I can get.

Reply 8 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-20, 22:47:

I worked on this for a couple of hours but wasn't able to trace where the problem was coming from. Something is shorting to ground and when you plug in the molex connector it shunts 12V from the power supply through a capacitor and then brings that to ground too.

I removed all of the shorted capacitors and lifted the legs of any diode that was also showing a short without success. This is a very sick card and I'm not very eager to find a reason to plug it back into something with all that's wrong with it.

I wonder if it's possible for the short to be inside the GPU? Its very strange that it worked intermittently. I only know how to do basic diagnostics for repair and this is as far as I can get.

Killer hardware 🙁

I think it's quite safe to say that the graphics card is doing the damage to the boards since it's happening to 2 different boards (of different make I presume).
If you get to keep the card (for instance if the seller doesn't want you to send the card back) then at the very least LABEL it clearly that it is killer hardware!
I've experienced something similar with a stick of SDRAM and with a HDD, both would kill motherboards (the SDRAM was the worst since it also presented vague problems while any motherboard that the killer HDD was connected to would simply die (no way to make it ever POST again). And with the harddrive the second board was completely my fault for not having clearly labeled it even though I had suspected the HDD after it had killed the 1st board.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 9, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had something similar with a SATA power/data combo. It killed at least four or five SSDs before I realized that the reason they weren't detecting was a result of the cable frying them.

I finally noticed an audible sizzling sound as it powered on that alerted me to the problem.

I had several other cables from the same manufacturer but I threw them all away rather than risk some other short in the future. This would have been before I got into electronics repair and testing so I didn't probe it at the time to see what the problem was.