VOGONS

First post, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there!

I was thinking about it from months, and now I decided to write you all here my big question:

I have a real DOS 6.2 system, a nice old system with an AMD K6-2+ 450MHZ, 64MB RAM and a Banshee video card on PCI bus.

Now I tried a PCI Radeon 7000, and a Nvidia Quadro NVS100 PCI.

My question is simple: How does DOS operating system manage various video card? I always known that DOS work with real hardware and doesn't have any api or sort of acceleration library (even if the 3dfx used in DOS the glide2x.ovl library).

So, If I put on DOS a video card with 1pixel shader, 3TMUs and 1ROPs like the Radeon 7000 and then I switch with a more powerful Quadro NVS100 that has 2pixel shaders, 4TMUs and 2 ROPs, can DOS run faster 3D video games like Mechwarrior2 or Nascar 2? Can DOS get riddle of faster video RAM memory? Can DOS get advantage of faster clocked video card?

I have this question from ages, I love old retro system as much as the new one, but in DOS I really don't know how things work.

I hope some DOS expert can answer me exaustily and comprehensive 😉

Thanks a lot guyssssss 😉

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 1 of 5, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The dos only can use what card provides via bios (interrupt 10h services) and VESA bios extensions (univbe-like programs will know multiple cards and their capabilities), and that's it.
The rest has to be compatible with something very standard - VGA/EGA/CGA, etc. So DOS doesn't know and doesn't care about how many ROP or shaders there are, it only uses BIOS calls, and the DOS apps would only write VGA-compatible registers.

The dos can't do hardware 3d, unless there is a library abstracting stuff for the applications, and essentially being a driver for the card. So you can't replace a 3d card with something totally different. Maybe the library that abstracts 3d rendering interface from one vendor can be aware of multiple cards in the single series, and will support the whole series, but that's definitely can't happen for cross-vendor card replacement.

Reply 2 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 3D capabilities on DOS are wasted due to lack of standardization. There are exceptions though such as S3D for S3 ViRGE, CGL, PowerVR SGL and DOS Glide support (obviously, the best ones for compatibility are the Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 cards).

If you want excellent DOS compatibility get a S3 PCI card from a good manufacturer, but the 3D capabilities sucks compared to the Voodoo Banshee. Adding an early Voodoo card can help mitigate this problem though.

I'm using a similar system like yours btw. 😁

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 5, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh ok, I understood... so replace my Banshee with this Nvidia Quadro NVS100 PCI doesn't mean better 3D performance, in DOS.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 4 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
biessea wrote on 2021-09-21, 14:00:

Oh ok, I understood... so replace my Banshee with this Nvidia Quadro NVS100 PCI doesn't mean better 3D performance, in DOS.

Yep, only on Windows is useful.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS