VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw it on LGR and thought about getting one, but they're 50+ bucks on ebay. Is there something about it to warrant this price?

I checked my local auction sites, and most beige LCD monitors go for a couple bucks. I got one with the box included from my local auction site for 5 euros, which is a little less than 6 bucks.

Reply 1 of 7, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's very much a piece of "retro hardware", with it's design aesthetics. As far as monitors go, it's absolutely nothing special and you could spend the same amount of money to get a better one and certainly an LED monitor would be a better investment.

Reply 3 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-10-24, 19:52:

It's very much a piece of "retro hardware", with it's design aesthetics. As far as monitors go, it's absolutely nothing special and you could spend the same amount of money to get a better one and certainly an LED monitor would be a better investment.

+1 to that, for the most part .

For non PC use, it is worth noting that this monitor model supports 15KHz RGB input, according to http://15khz.wikidot.com/.

Also, unless you are getting a new old stock or lightly used unit, the fluorescent backlight and/or the inverter on a 15ish year old monitor will likely need replacement at some point .

Reply 6 of 7, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think they are a bit overhyped imho - I have one and it's very limited when it comes to adjustment options, at least in 15KHz (which is what I bought it for). I could never get Workbench to be properly centered.

It's a good VGA monitor though 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

71vm and 51vm are the best, I use it on every machine that requires special modes.

- XT with Hercules/CGA/Tandy
- AT with EGA
- AtariST
- Amiga
- Acorn Archimedes

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines