VOGONS

First post, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have a few VGA cards that hang on the desktop after installing drivers. What could be the reason for this behavior?

Reply 1 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On newer video cards, it usually means the card is toast. I've never bothered to try to troubleshoot when that happens.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 8, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there.
If you are trying those few cards in the same system, and all of them exhibit the same behaviour, then I would suspect they are not to blame, but the system itself (motherboard, Agp slot, PSU, etc).

Have you tried those same graphic cards in another configuration (mother+ram+cpu+gpu)?

Maybe I misread or there wasn´t enough info included in your post.

Reply 3 of 8, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar issue with an old Soyo 440BX motherboard ages ago. It would just display a blank screen after loading the display driver, but you could hear Windows load in the background.

That board just didn't provide enough current to run the GeForce2 GTS and GF3 I had initially tested. However, it was absolutely fine with a TNT2, FX5200, and even a Radeon 9800 Pro (thanks to the auxiliary power, no doubt).

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 4 of 8, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This problem occurs with i740 and similar cards. I think I checked them in two boards with the via694 chipset. The power supply is probably ok because all the Geforce cards work fine.

Cards work fine in safe mode at 640x480 and 16 colors but after installing the drivers and rebooting it hangs before entering the desktop.

Thanks for tips. I will check the cards on the boards with the i815 and KT333 chipsets. What could be wrong with the cards?

Reply 5 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure that chipset drivers are installed.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 6 of 8, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2021-12-08, 10:31:

Make sure that chipset drivers are installed.

Always 😀

I have other cards with i740 chip that do not cause problems

Reply 7 of 8, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a modern OS, that usually means bad GPU. I thought for Win9x in some cases a bad GPU won’t cause an issue until you actually run something that makes use of 3D acceleration.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 8 of 8, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked two other motherboards, TUSL2-C and GA-7VRXP that behave similarly and cards hang on the desktop after installing drivers. Additionally, I checked the other faulty cards, one of them is not detected and the second freezes freezes the system while loading even before the desktop appears