VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,
I've got a Creative CT6710 AGP with the Riva TNT video chip and it did work in the past for few time but lately it can't boot (at least on the functional ECS P6BX-A+ i440BX mainboard I'm using it I don't have other ready AGP 1.0 systems to test it with). Is there any way to debug it with a second vga pci card? I am sure it did work time ago but I also remember the heatsink temperature was quite high when tested and I'd not like some components might have died during the past tests.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Attachments

• Creative_CT6710.JPG
    Filename
    Creative_CT6710.JPG
    File size
    436.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried even before installing it to clean the contacts but I noticed that the cpu I am using, a P2 400 might have problems, I changed cpu and I try again. Now I'm using a Rage Pro Turbo 16MB (Xpert@Work, interesting card anyway) and this one works like the Riva 128 ZX tested before so the mainboard should work. The only other thing I might imagine may be the bios version that is a late Pentium III supporting beta bios (while official anyway) and maybe something incompatible with that card? I'll update as soon I try it again.

Reply 3 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cleaned again AGP contacts, still nothing the monitor stays in standby the cpu fan start. I suppose using a P4 oriented Enermax PSU without the -5V (the bios sensors reading actually expect to read the -5V rail and see it 0V of course) may not be the problem? Maybe trying to reflash the video bios?

Reply 4 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tried with a PCI debug card and the boot process stop at "0d" which on Award bios seems like "Detect and initialize video adapter". I should try it on another mainboard but it seems strange being a time correct card for such known system config.

Reply 5 of 19, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It just happen that I had two untested CT6710 cards on my test desk and Gigabyte GA-6BXC with P3-500 on my desk. One card worked from the start. The other I needed to clean the contacts with the eraser - it would beep for video card problem. Now it works fine.

Check also for scratches and maybe missing/broken off pieces.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried cleaning a lor the whole card and nothing. A strange thing this mainboard (ECS P6BX-A+ bios v5.6 last official-beta) "boot" even without a video card with the pc speaker single beep sound and the floppy search (???). I was expecting as usual the boot process would notice the missing video card. Instead with the Riva TNT no sound is done and the "0d" message appear on the debug card. I don't see broken components and only some scratches on the PCB but not enough deep to cut traces. No other AGP cards seems to give problems so I suspect something is wrong with the vga. Does a specific flasher exist to try flashing some bios if exists to download with a second PCI video card?

Reply 7 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like it doesn't boot with a second PCI video card and the Riva TNT AGP one at the same time to try flashing its bios. Is it remotely possible to install the AGP card while the system is running to try a msdos flashing or obviously a serious risk?

Reply 8 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But with an ISA video card I can boot with both VGAs.. 😁.. let's try to see if I can read theCT6710 EEPROM..
UPDATE.. the Nvflash (v.5.136) find the RIVA TNT adapter but when identifying EEPROM... it says "EEPROM ID (6B,002B): Unknown ERROR: Supported EEPROM not found"

Any suggestions?

Reply 9 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some updates.. I'm trying with the nvflash version 5.13 that in the EEPROM list should support the chip of my card SST 29E010 at least is specified inside but the few progress I did were into safe mode of Win 98 where the card is recognized into the program booting with an ISA card, with "Adapter: RIVA TNT (10DE, 0020, 1102, 1011)" but with a message with PCi Subsystem ID different from the only firmware I've found also cause the card one seems read as "invalid" with a Version:Unavailable (Invalid) ID: 0000 : 0000 : 1102 : 1011 while the firmware I've found has a Version 02.04.18.00 ID: 10DE : 0020 : 1102 : 1015 (and this last numbers would differ anyway maybe is another PCB revision). Anyway even forcing the update it abort with the EEPROM ID (6B,2b): Unknown ERROR: Supported EEPROM not found message. The bios chip is listed by this version so could it be a damaged bios? How can I force the flash? And where I can find other Creative CT6710 video bios files?

Reply 10 of 19, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote on 2022-01-04, 16:31:

Some updates.. I'm trying with the nvflash version 5.13 that in the EEPROM list should support the chip of my card SST 29E010 at least is specified inside but the few progress I did were into safe mode of Win 98 where the card is recognized into the program booting with an ISA card, with "Adapter: RIVA TNT (10DE, 0020, 1102, 1011)" but with a message with PCi Subsystem ID different from the only firmware I've found also cause the card one seems read as "invalid" with a Version:Unavailable (Invalid) ID: 0000 : 0000 : 1102 : 1011 while the firmware I've found has a Version 02.04.18.00 ID: 10DE : 0020 : 1102 : 1015 (and this last numbers would differ anyway maybe is another PCB revision). Anyway even forcing the update it abort with the EEPROM ID (6B,2b): Unknown ERROR: Supported EEPROM not found message. The bios chip is listed by this version so could it be a damaged bios? How can I force the flash? And where I can find other Creative CT6710 video bios files?

Did you ever get this card working? I just recently acquired a CT6710 as part of video card lot, and I'm having the exact same problem as you; but in an AOpen AX6BC motherboard.

Reply 11 of 19, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386SX wrote on 2022-01-03, 13:48:

Cleaned again AGP contacts, still nothing the monitor stays in standby the cpu fan start. I suppose using a P4 oriented Enermax PSU without the -5V (the bios sensors reading actually expect to read the -5V rail and see it 0V of course) may not be the problem? Maybe trying to reflash the video bios?

Oh Enermax.. no Video Card does require -5V.
But Enermax Brand of PSUs does not age well.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 12 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-09-09, 05:01:

Did you ever get this card working? I just recently acquired a CT6710 as part of video card lot, and I'm having the exact same problem as you; but in an AOpen AX6BC motherboard.

Not lately only in the past when the video card worked the first times I tried it but I don't remember which mainboard was used. Then the card has not been used for quite a long time and now it doesn't seem to work and on a i440BX board it even gives the beep sounds at boot. Sure the card ran at default at high temperatures, I wonder if that decreased the lifetime of the components. I suppose also there're different version of the Creative board and I wonder if also the bios changed with different ram brands, maybe clocks.

Last edited by 386SX on 2022-09-09, 13:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote on 2022-09-09, 05:54:
386SX wrote on 2022-01-03, 13:48:

Oh Enermax.. no Video Card does require -5V.
But Enermax Brand of PSUs does not age well.

Yes, I was wondering if ipotethically the lack of -5V rail would have been a problem for the mainboard stability itself if the bios is looking for it not necessary for the vga. 😉
The Enermax PSU I have of the Pentium4 times didn't last long indeed. I have different ones that without capacitor problems still decreased their voltage rails a lot.

Reply 14 of 19, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

put both cards in, you can boot the computer with the isa card, go to windows, install the tnt drivers (preferably 2.x), reboot, disable the isa card in resolution control panel, making the tnt1 as primary, and the tnt1 should work

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html

Reply 15 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Geri wrote on 2022-09-09, 23:17:

put both cards in, you can boot the computer with the isa card, go to windows, install the tnt drivers (preferably 2.x), reboot, disable the isa card in resolution control panel, making the tnt1 as primary, and the tnt1 should work

I suppose the problem is much before the o.s. driver loading at the video card detect step. It's curious these video cards has an uncommon long AGP connector compared to other cards. But last time I saw this card running on a time correct board I remember it running as hot as the usual Voodoo3 video chip and I always wondered if like the V3 those heatsinks weren't exactly correctly designed for such temps.

Reply 16 of 19, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote on 2022-09-10, 08:15:

I suppose the problem is much before the o.s. driver loading at the video card detect step

The video boot rom and the drivers are two different things. You doesn't need the boot rom to be executed to have picture in windows.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html

Reply 17 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But if the mainboard boot stop before even the usual initial steps and drives search with a beep sound, not giving any signal as often happens when that video card is the only one installed... Lately something similar happened with one of those modern Rage XL PCI not functional (probably a video chip or memory module gone) which in some mainboard could arrive at the o.s. driver loading (crashing) without any video output signal but not on other mainboards it didn't even boot at all. I suppose I should try on some Super Socket7 maybe I'd have a differen result. I've tried on a KT133 board and same problem. It might be some component simply gone on board. 440BX board should boot anything existing of those times.

Reply 19 of 19, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure not with two video cards but once I'd use the Riva one only it will not like it and not booting alone. It's one of the few cards I have that doesn't boot on this mainboard. Maybe some compatibility issue I'd not be surprised and I sure need to test this on other boards. But the 440BX should be one of the "best" safest choice to test these cards.