VOGONS

First post, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi
I have acquired an old 8bit ISA Eagle II card (Cirrus Logic GD-510/ 520) with 256k RAM. I like the card because it can output EGA on VGA port and is more compatible with older games compared to the PCI cards I have (S3 / Matrox / etc). For example, I can play Cruise for a Corpse EGA without any flickering.

I am using the card on a 440BX board, with a P2, underclocked at 133 MHz. The ISA card works great in DOS.

My problem is Windows 95 / 98 - the Windows installer works. During the install process, the image is 640x480, 16 colors and win9x detects a "Standard VGA Adapter"; the ISA card and the monitor are both in VGA mode. using the dip-switches from the back.

However, once windows 9x boots the monitor shuts down, as the ISA card attempts to output a 28Hz signal for the horizontal frequency - which is below what the VGA monitor can do (a dell p1130). The same happens in safe mode.

Any idea if this card can be 'pushed' to work in Windows 9x? All I need is 640x480 x 16 colors.

Many thanks for any idea.

Reply 1 of 4, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I spent one more day trying to install / reinstall windows 95 / 98.

I find it quite hard to believe that windows 9x would not work with a standard 8bit VGA ISA card, but guess I will have to call it quits on this one.

Reply 2 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mihai wrote on 2022-01-29, 19:56:

I spent one more day trying to install / reinstall windows 95 / 98.

I find it quite hard to believe that windows 9x would not work with a standard 8bit VGA ISA card, but guess I will have to call it quits on this one.

Are you using DIP switch settings as per Re: Cirrus Logic Eagle II 8-bit VGA card and making sure that switches 6-8 are NOT set to auto ?

Reply 4 of 4, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

could not get it to work. Forcing VGA just turns the monitor off; using protected (timings) VGA just displays some gibberish on the screen.

I will try one last thing: I have bought a "nice" 15 inch NEC LCD, from 2000, which does one thing right: it can sync from 24 kHz up to 48.3 kHz and some people were able to get it to sync at 15 kHz. I hope the card will work with this monitor.