VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the HT should have been enabled on the Pentium D tests though.

HT raises overall TDP and lowers maximum overlock. Pretty much the reason why normal Pentium D never had it - too toasty.

The fun part about LGA775 is it really starts getting nice when you get the bus speed up around 450+ Mhz.

It doesn't affect Pentium D that much. Plus FSB wall on Pentium D is usually very low.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 21 of 21, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-01-28, 05:15:
Depends on the OS. For Win98, even the FX5950U is CPU bottlenecked in 3DMark 2001 up to 3.2-3.3Ghz on a Core 2 Extreme x6800. […]
Show full quote

Depends on the OS. For Win98, even the FX5950U is CPU bottlenecked in 3DMark 2001 up to 3.2-3.3Ghz on a Core 2 Extreme x6800.

If you are running XP, then you might gain a bit because of Hyperthreading, but you are still going to be bottlenecked by a faster card.

That CPU is LGA775, so why not get a Pentium D.. say a 940 or higher. That will give you 2x CPU cores + HT.

What is the brand and model of that PSU you are using? If it isn't a high quality brand, expect it to not be able to handle near as much as the sticker claims.

The pc is focused around Windows XP. I could probably get a pentium D, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. The PSU is a codegen CG-PXA4-3.