VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I'd like to ask your opinion finding the absolute best VGA output quality card compatible with AGP 1x/2x. I can see as often seen in the past that the G450 improved the already great G400 main output and the G550 probably even better. In your opinion, later cards did reach their analog signal quality and which one? Or maybe the Parhelia AGP card should be the obvious choice, but with the DVI to VGA adapter is it the same thing?
I've to say that compared to the usual other choices, these cards surprise me every times I test them for their analog output quality already and I wonder if there were better ones or the DVI outputs changed the logic we were used to compare final monitor quality (even on LCD, I'm sure CRT would benefit even more).
Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man... I'd have a hard time telling any of those Matrox cards apart. I'd expect the G400, G450, and G500 to all be excellent and maybe indistinguishable unless you have an excellent CRT and excellent eyesight. If anything, VGA analog output quality might have gotten worse after that point (less incentive to put money into analog output if most customers are using DVI-D).

Out of the cards I have I cannot tell the difference between my Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, Radeon 64MB VIVO, Radeon 9800 Pro, and Radeon X850 Pro. They all output clear image to my 19" CRTs at 1600x1200@60Hz and 1280x1024 @ 85Hz. The nVidia cards I have of similar era tend to look worse...

Reply 2 of 3, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe sometimes might also be a matter of card PCB components lifetime who knows, but I sure remember seen improvements comparing the G400 with the G450 and not even at highest resolutions, the pixels were sharper and cleaner, the noise (especially not to mention when are used passthrough cables like add-in cards required) reduced, the colors etc..of course the G400 is equally great, it might be difficult to see any difference but I'm convinced there were improvements; after the G450 I had difficult time to compare it to the G550, I don't have an high end time correct monitor and that would make some difference but still I think they got the best from what the VGA output could at least as an obsolete connection (obsolete more or less.. 2013 cheap monitors even 1080p still had that connector).

Reply 3 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Late low-profile G450s use identical components and PCB with G550.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.