VOGONS

First post, by wrexroad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this 6600 GT in a box of cards I was given. It doesn't have a cooler attached to it, but I put it in a machine let it run just long enough to see if I would get output. It appears to look OK, but I didn't want to push it. Is there anyway to retrofit a cooler on this card? Is it even worth it?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might be able to use one of those flower-style coolers on eBay / AliExpress.

Phil used one here and I also got one for a Radeon 9800.

I'm not sure what's the distance between the mounting holes on your card (it looks like they're pretty far apart), maybe measure that first.

For the bridge chip, maybe a short little heatsink (raspberry pi esque) with thermal sticker might do the trick. A flower cooler on the GPU should push enough air onto the bridge chip heatsink.

Good luck!

Reply 3 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depending on where you are in the world, it may be easier/cheaper to get a "for parts" 6600GT AGP which will have the reference design cooler attached. I'm a little concerned that an off-the-shelf solution may not make good contact with the RAM chips around the GPU.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 6, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That graphics card needs a cooler for the GPU and another for the bridge, those bridges get very hot so don't forget it, the bridge was the damnation of all the ATI X series and newer in the AGP bus.
But I don't know where you can buy one cooler for the bridge, I usually make my own cooler in this cases.
The suggestion of buying a "for parts only" graphics card looks to be the cheapest and easiest way, but be careful since not all of those cards used the same layout.

Reply 5 of 6, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can maybe get by with small purcupine-like BGA cooler for bridge chip. Zalman had replacement bridge coolers, they appear on eBay from time to time.
For the GPU, holes are 80mm apart. Zalman VF700 or Pccooler K81. There used to be good Zalman replicas, but I cannot find them today.

Reply 6 of 6, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't know that, I've had an 7600GT with an VF700 copper, and it had an independent cooler for the bridge, but I also had a 6600 that used a single cooler for the GPU and the bridge.