VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I'd like to ask which softwares beside the drivers existed in the original retail installation CD on these Matrox cards. Did the retail product had inside the Matrox DVD software player or it was on another disc?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The G400 driver CD came with a special version of Expendable which supports Environment Mapped Bump Mapping. It also had this Matrox Tech Demo which was pretty amazing for the time.

I think there was also a DVD player program on that CD but I'm not sure which one.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 3, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember that game screenshots in most reviews and the use of the EMBM was really amazing for its time. The dvd original software player should be a custom rebranded version of the Ravisent engine that also ATi player used (with more hw acceleration) and mostly cpu based. But I don't know how it was released considering the oem company usually the engine was dedicated, in this case was Matrox itself for their own video cards only so I'd expect this to be in the retail package CDs or a later sw release but if the G400 retail disc files list seems having a dvd player, I wonder if the Bulk CDs had only the drivers. I suppose there were different card/disc packages, a retail version and a bulk version. I will look for a retail card with its disc, but usually the few ones that comes with usual cards are the Bulk ones.