VOGONS

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to have an Apocalypse 3Dx, which I ran on a Pentium 2 300MHz, but sold all that a long time ago. I finally bought a Matrox M3D so I can try the handful of PowerVR titles I never got to try in the past.

My issue is that my "old" PC that I want to put it in... isn't THAT old. I'm talking a Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition with 3GB RAM (I think), Gainward 7800GS+ AGP 512MB graphics card, Audigy ZS sound, 500GB hard disk, Abit IC-7G motherboard.

Just wondering what issues I'm about to run into. Also trying to get NTFS hard disk back to FAT32 but will work that out later... I believe the main issues I'll face are:

1. Hard disk shouldn't be over 128GB or so, so that needs limiting?
2. RAM can't exceed 512MB, so either needs some removing (might be hard as paired sticks with minimum of 512MB on 2 of them) or Windows 98 setting/s changing to ignore extended RAM?
3. Need a hacked graphics driver, and without another hack, shutting down/accessing DOS might freeze PC (all the games I want to run are Windows games, but shutting down by pressing off feels bad!).

Is that about it? If I had to swap to an older 2D card, what's a good suggestion (without spending a lot/harming M3D performance)?

Otherwise I'll see where I get to... any other tips?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 34, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may also run into issues with the 512MB of VRAM (Win9x should be limited to 256MB of VRAM to avoid problems). You couldn't have picked a more troublesome system combination to work on that's for sure. If you search this board and the MSFN.org forums, you can work your way out of this hell... but you already know what you're getting yourself into. Perhaps you're like "Rambo," and instead of hell you call this "home."

If you do swap out the video card, I think I read the GeForce cards are not very good choices to pair with the PowerVR, so that's one more issue. Anything else will work but search around.

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 34, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to got Win98SE loaded, but none of the hacked Nvidia drivers work for my card, so I think I'll have to seek an inexpensive 2D card. Any idea what would be good enough without being too pricey?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 34, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks on this list. You can find many of these cards extremely cheap (and maximumly DOS compatible; even on eBay (except for the 3dfx cards, of course). Reminder: Avoid GeForce cards because of the PowerVR add-in.

https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Reply 4 of 34, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up an S3 Trio 3D cheaply, should be enough for what I need. That list is amazing! I'm not building a retro machine though, more reworking my old PC just to play a few PowerVR titles 😁

Reply 5 of 34, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Argh... I forgot my ABIT IC-7G motherboard is 4X/8X, not 2X, so the AGP connector is the wrong way around!

Can anyone recommend a cheap AGP 4X/8X card that'll work fine in Windows 98SE? My Gainward GS7800+ never had Windows 98 drivers, and the hacked ones don't work.

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2022-02-15, 01:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 34, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you need to stay away from Nvidia GeForce and later because of the PowerVR, any version of Rage Pro Fury or Ultra or Radeon from the 7000 series will work, perform adequately to very well, and be cheap. All are AGP 2x/4x. AGP 2x/4x is also compatible with a 4x/8x motherboard. It's the 1x/2x you have to watch out for (unless you have a universal slot, which it appears you don't).

Reply 7 of 34, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, will see what I can get

Reply 8 of 34, by Shishkebarbarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i never heard of Power VR. I would love to mess around with a compatible card. i don't really know what to search for, anyone have any hints/leads of which cards to pick up? i am in the US.

Reply 9 of 34, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The desire of seeking one depends on a particular acquired taste:

- Do you like early 3d accelerated games?
- Do you like early Japan-exclusive 3d accelerated PC games?
- Are you content with the compatibility rate sharply dropping from 1998 onward as well as having no support for any NT based OS?
- Do you want decent enough 3D acceleration to pair with your really good sharp Matrox Millennium/Mystique video card?
- Do you want to build a chimera of a computer that can use all of the supported APIs found on UnrealEngine1 games?
- Do you have a dangerously obsessive interest in the Sega Dreamcast and have silly WhatCouldHaveBeen daydream scenarios of it coming out a year earlier?

In the US the Matrox M3D is the most common card, and the Apocalypse 5D is the least common (that's really a combo card as it adds a 2D Tseng core.(yes... 3D+2D=5D)) and the unobtanium's the NEC PC3DEngine2 (Japan only)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 34, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bidded on a 5D last week, it went for £320 I think!!!

Reply 12 of 34, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Johnylyr wrote on 2022-02-15, 10:12:

If I recall correctly, there was also an apocalypse 5d sonic which also included a soundcard.

You are correct

Reply 13 of 34, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before I dip in and get an ATi card, I saw a post over here: Help me find GOOD WORKING ATi Radeon 7000 VE drivers for '98! that said "Plus ATI Win9x drivers are ctd if you have HT/multicore CPU or have 512+ MB RAM."

I've limited RAM to 512MB but I'm running a hyperthread P4 EE. I assume that hyperthreading might be disable-able in BIOS perhaps, or should I get a different 2D card, maybe an SiS one?

I sometimes feel buying a whole retro machine might be easier, but I'm attempting to make-do-and-mend with what I have lying around 😁

Reply 14 of 34, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I told you.... heh (2nd post).

Anyway,
You can get all the best ATI drivers at Phil's:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ati-9x-driver-archive.html

Stay away from VisionTek ATI cards, unless you absolutely 100% know really know what you're getting. VisionTek often puts some kind of ATI "Mobility" chip on PCI/AGP desktop form factors, making driver installation (even from their own CD!) a horrid experience.

A SiS 315E is AGP 2x, so you can't use that one, but the 315 is 4x. You're still not going to get a "non-E" version cheaply, though. Priced similarly to the Xabre 200/400, if not even more expensive. SiS Xabre 200/400 are pretty good, but they are expensive. You're going to pay $40 - $50, but if you want to wait around or look harder, you can probably find one cheaper.

Last edited by Meatball on 2022-02-15, 13:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 34, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote on 2022-02-15, 13:45:
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-15, 13:40:

A SiS 315 is AGP 2x.

4x

You're right, I was looking at a 315E

https://vgamuseum.info/index.php/component/k2 … em/396-sis-315e

Reply 17 of 34, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about a SIS 6326? They sound very low end but I just need something for 2D alongside the PowerVR, does it need to be a particularly flashy 2D card?

Reply 19 of 34, by Shishkebarbarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-02-15, 05:10:
The desire of seeking one depends on a particular acquired taste: […]
Show full quote

The desire of seeking one depends on a particular acquired taste:

- Do you like early 3d accelerated games?
- Do you like early Japan-exclusive 3d accelerated PC games?
- Are you content with the compatibility rate sharply dropping from 1998 onward as well as having no support for any NT based OS?
- Do you want decent enough 3D acceleration to pair with your really good sharp Matrox Millennium/Mystique video card?
- Do you want to build a chimera of a computer that can use all of the supported APIs found on UnrealEngine1 games?
- Do you have a dangerously obsessive interest in the Sega Dreamcast and have silly WhatCouldHaveBeen daydream scenarios of it coming out a year earlier?

In the US the Matrox M3D is the most common card, and the Apocalypse 5D is the least common (that's really a combo card as it adds a 2D Tseng core.(yes... 3D+2D=5D)) and the unobtanium's the NEC PC3DEngine2 (Japan only)

- love early 3d accelerated games. i am all about collecting and building systems of the mid to early 90s.
- i have no experience with such, i generally like to play games in a language i can read
- yeah this is not a problem. i have a ton of various cards and platforms.
- no experience with Matrox either. should i pick up a Millennium/Mystique to mess around with?
- absolutely!
- always.

What search terms do you recommend i use to find a matrox m3d? do you know where other than ebay i can buy/trade for one?